Honored Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Thinks I'm Strange

@hckynut wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

There are three feral cats I feed. Sometimes I read out on my patio, when I do, these cats show up and lounge about. So, when they do, I read aloud to them and they seem to enjoy it.

Well, this morning I was out there reading to them and my neighbor appeared, gave me this odd look then hurried away.

What I want to know is, do you find my behavior strange?

The other thing I want to know is, do you read to cats or dogs?

By tonight my patio behavior will be known throughout the neighborhood. I wonder how my other neighbors will react. Any gesses?

@occasionalrain

I wouldn't be concerned with what my neighbors think. My concern about ferals is this. Have these feral cats been trapped and fixed? 

My best estimate over the 16 years we have lived in our home in relation to ferals is this. I personally have trapped at a minimum of 40-50 ferals, and took some to our vet, and others to our State Humane Society.

Unless ferals are fixed, their numbers keep increasing. If you do not have a humane trap, ask your Animal Control to loan you one, if they can and will. 

Our Humane Society does, but only on certain days. Cats are smart enough to figure certain things out. Many of the ones I trapped, took me over a month to trick them, even though they are hungry, that will still need ignore food.

Talking to, or with them is fine, I have done it many times. As I said, it is my primary concern to trap them so they cannot increase their population? That ends with many I find dead on our highway.

Keep taking and **** what your neighbors think. But I sure hope these ferals cannot reproduce, there are already millions that are destined to unpleasant deaths.

=^..^=        =^..^=

hckynut(john)

Yep, as a neighbor, that would be my only concern seeing someone reading to feral cats. They must be fixed or the problem becomes worse for everyone, including the cats and all of the species that are endangered because of cats.

Honored Contributor

I am not a cat lover, but I would certainly give food to a starving animal!  As far as reading to them, who cares, I talk to my dog while we are alone together about things on TV, LOL and he just looks at me like I'm crazy!  Just be careful and not get too close they have all sorts of diseases!

My DH  & a coworker have been feeding a feral cat & her kitten from the woods behind their office bldg., some days they find them standing & waiting by their bowl, LOL!

Occasional Contributor

Please get them neutered or take them to a shelter.  Those cats if female can have

6 cats a litter.  In our town if you feed a cat you are then responsibile for that cat.  They can carry diseaes. 

Honored Contributor

Realistically speaking, not everyone can afford to have numerous cats spayed.

And not every community will come and take them even if you can catch them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain   It is your yard. If you enjoy the friendship of wild cats and want read to them more power to you. Your mrs Kravitz  neighbor needs to butt out.

Trusted Contributor

Why would showing kindness and compassion to homeless animals be considered strange?  How sad your neighbor would think that way.

I personally think it is very sweet, and obviously something all of you enjoy,

So go ahead and read to those kitties and show them whatever attention you want.

No, I don't read to my cats but we sure have some long conversations with each other!

Honored Contributor

"By tonight my patio behavior will be known throughout the neighborhood. I wonder how my other neighbors will react. Any gesses?"

Who the eff cares???

People have become increasingly full of themselves and judgmental. thumb_down.png (50×50)

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

There are three feral cats I feed. Sometimes I read out on my patio, when I do, these cats show up and lounge about. So, when they do, I read aloud to them and they seem to enjoy it.

Well, this morning I was out there reading to them and my neighbor appeared, gave me this odd look then hurried away.

What I want to know is, do you find my behavior strange?

The other thing I want to know is, do you read to cats or dogs?

By tonight my patio behavior will be known throughout the neighborhood. I wonder how my other neighbors will react. Any gesses?

@occasionalrain

I see nothing strange about this, and in fact, I think it's kinda cool!

I talk to my dog all the time.  He's going to get his Canine Good Citizen training and take the test next month.  Then I hope to have him be a therapy dog and read with kids in the schools and at the library.

So, reading to the cats?  I think it's great.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

You read to whomever (or whatever) you feel like reading to....  Woman Happy

Many, many people read outloud (not necessarily to cats but there's nothing wrong with that either) but reading out loud reinforces what they are reading, keeps them on track. Can actually improve memorizing.  Let another neighbor know sometime that this is something you do because you enjoy it.... then continue....

No, I don't think there is anything wrong and you're not strange.  What's strange is showing up on your patio without any warning.... I find that strange.... Woman Wink 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

It is good for the cats, esp if you are trying to socialize them, to talk to them. When I start talking to our cats indoors, they gather. I used to recite a particular poem to one cat, who would react  by listening intently, rolling over, stretching out and meowing. It calmed her and I did it in a special voice that affected her. When we had to put her to sleep last year, I recited the poem as they gave her the shot so my voice reciting "our" special poem was the last thing she heard. Cats like to be sung to, as well. My husband never believed any of this until he had seen it all in person.