Valued Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Thinks I'm Strange

Reading aloud can be empowering . . .

cat kitten kitty reading sun tzu

cat light follow reading newspaper
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

There are three feral cats I feed. Sometimes I read out on my patio, when I do, these cats show up and lounge about. So, when they do, I read aloud to them and they seem to enjoy it.

Well, this morning I was out there reading to them and my neighbor appeared, gave me this odd look then hurried away.

What I want to know is, do you find my behavior strange?

The other thing I want to know is, do you read to cats or dogs?

By tonight my patio behavior will be known throughout the neighborhood. I wonder how my other neighbors will react. Any gesses?

It may be because the cats are pooping in your neighbor's flower beds, killing the birds they would like to feed, keeping them up at night fighting and howling, etc.  Could that be the root of the odd loods?  Just something to think about . . . 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

There are three feral cats I feed. Sometimes I read out on my patio, when I do, these cats show up and lounge about. So, when they do, I read aloud to them and they seem to enjoy it.

Well, this morning I was out there reading to them and my neighbor appeared, gave me this odd look then hurried away.

What I want to know is, do you find my behavior strange?

The other thing I want to know is, do you read to cats or dogs?

By tonight my patio behavior will be known throughout the neighborhood. I wonder how my other neighbors will react. Any gesses?

It may be because the cats are pooping in your neighbor's flower beds, killing the birds they would like to feed, keeping them up at night fighting and howling, etc.  Could that be the root of the odd loods?  Just something to think about . . . 

The decimation of the bird population is so sad.  I hope the OP has neutered the cats.

Respected Contributor

Bless you for feeding and caring for those kitties less fortunate.   Neighbors are some times nosy busy-bodies, so if this person choses to gossip, then she's at fault.   

animated-cat-image-0252

Respected Contributor

I also love that you read to the cats. 

Honored Contributor

Your neighbor should see me.  I practically have a zoo in my backyard anymore between snakes, rabbits, tons of birds, squirrels, chipmunks, ground hog and a few cats that roam in and out.  I talk to them all.  LOL

When I walked my dog everyday, I would often talk to him the whole time we walked.  Around the various holidays, when we walked past houses that were decorated, I would point stuff out to him and tell him how pretty everything was.  LOL  People that saw me walking him used to comment to me about how I talked to him and how happy he always was while we walked. They used to tell me they saw people walking with their kids and the adult would be on their cell the entire time, not saying a word to their child and here I was, having conversations with my dog!  Woman LOL

I don't read to them but I don't find anything weird about it.       

Respected Contributor

I have a book with  doggie stories about a bone tree, getting lost in the woods,and chasing the mailman, that I have read to 2 of my 3 cocker spaniels.

They are always very attentive (or maybe it's the cookie in my pocket/).

Esteemed Contributor

I see nothing wrong with reading to the cats.  I talk to my dog!

In our county, if you feed a feral cat, you are responsible for the cat and its behavior.  I wouldn't do it.

Trusted Contributor

I like kitties.  However if you live in a condo or HOA community the association frowns upon feeding feral cats.  

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain I think it's very sweet! Heart