Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Neighbor Thinks I'm Strange

I don't read to our cats, but I don't think its strange and it wouldn't bother me. HOWEVER, in our county here in PA you get fined for feeding feral cats. In fact a friend of a friend of mine just got in trouble for feeding feral cats in her neighborhood. (and the 1 cat had kittens and they were all in her yard). They suggest caging the older feral cats and bringing them in to be fixed (then released back where they were), and the babies they can put in foster care through the humane society and they will then be up for adoption when they are old enough.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain

I think it's normal. I talk to the strays, the birds, the squirrels

The cats are obviously comfortable enough with you and like you. That's a good thing.

Respected Contributor

You asked, so yeah I find it strange BUT that doesn't mean you should not do it. It makes you happy - the cats probably find comfort in your voice so it is all good.

We can't worry about what others think in harmless cases like this. Sure I would look at you oddly but would it affect my life or day? Nope...so it shouldn't yours!

Read aloud and enjoy.

Super Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

My husband was doing a lot of yard work a couple of years ago and was befriended by a cat who jumped the fence and shined up to him.  She stayed and stayed and seemed to love him.  Finally I gave her food because she was losing weight, and we finally caught her and took her to the ASPCA which has a no-kill policy.

I could not take her in because my cat was under treatment for cancer and our vet said it would be too much stress for her.

We put up notices around the neighborhood and through the ASPCA, thinking she might be lost or abandoned.  No response.

Then I got a call from the ASPCA that they had found a heart murmur and killed her.  That beautiful little loving calico.  I never give them money again, I give it to rescue groups.

It broke my heart and years later I have still not gotten over it, I still cry when reminded.  Like now.

@Noel7, I'm so sorry this happened, but please, if your heart can find a way, try to understand that both you and the ASPCA did the best you could. 

You rescued a kitty that did not have a home. 

They put down a kitty that would probably be expensive to care for and hard to adopt.

The cold, cruel fact is that there is only so much room, money and effort to go around, and sometimes the awful decision has to be made. That poor little one was euthanized quickly and humanely rather than starving to death, getting hit by a car, shot, or torn apart by dogs. Please realize that you did the right thing, sometimes life just isn't fair.