Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Movie Theater is Re-Opening!

[ Edited ]

@elated wrote:

Enjoy your life. No one knows when the end is coming and we need to take care of ouselves. Unless we dress like Robocop, we are not immune from anything. Enjoy the movie.

Even Robocop needs to wear a mask!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.IXOb4eoHJcpI86LaFW0h9QAAAA%26pid%3DApi&f=1

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@elated wrote:

Enjoy your life. No one knows when the end is coming and we need to take care of ouselves. Unless we dress like Robocop, we are not immune from anything. Enjoy the movie.

@elated, I think that message resonates -- in theory. I'm not sure that its purpose, though, includes taking risks that could drastically affect or even end such enjoyable living, when there are steps (temporary, I surely hope) that will allow us to enjoy our lives hereafter.

@suzyQ3 

I think there are a number of countries showing us right now that indeed CAN be done.

If only we would LEARN from them!  

Respected Contributor

@firestorm 

Simmer down.

Getting all hopped up over someone else's choice to live her life and return to some sort of normalcy is not good for the immune system.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@firestorm wrote:

People, ask yourself: Would Dr. Fauci do this? Then make your decision.

@firestorm 

Since Fauci is on many poo poo lists on this board I'd say that's a bad question.

It's amazing how people are so willing to take a non-medical, non-expert, uneducated opinion over that of someone who is highly educated, studied pandemics most of his life, and is a actual expert on what's going on right now.  

It makes me wonder if people ever think or if Americans are just plain stupid.

Respected Contributor

After sitting at home for months and watching TV, the last place on earth I would want to be is in a dark theatre quietly watching a movie even if Covid 19 was cured today.  I want to be outside and doing stuff and eating out and talking to people.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I bought a ticket, so that means that I am going.

I posted because I wanted to show that with some changes, things are gradually returning to some sense of "normal".

Also, I enjoy actually going to the movies.

Sure, one can see a movie at home, but not everybody has a 72 inch screen, with stereo surround sound.

Movies are just better and more enjoyable on the big screen, at least, it is for me.

Besides, I thought that people here wanted  businesses to survive.

They can't do that if people don't patronize them.

But, maybe I was wrong.

Maybe people do want to see businesses shuttered, and have people out of jobs.

I know there are some who love to criticize every thing that I say.

That's fine, but that says more about them, then it does about me.

It makes them feel big, important, and better than.

If they need to feel that way about themselves, then again, that's on them.

Everybody has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable doing.

I am comfortable with doing this.

Others aren't, and that fine.

But why is it okay for people to go to beauty salons to get hair cut and/or colored, and nobody is criticized for that, but my movie theater opening and showing movies is?

Isn't going out anywhere putting yourself at risk?

Afterall, one doesn't need to go to the beauty salon. They can just cut and color their own hair at home.

So, why is one so objectionable, but the other isn't?

Seems hypocritical to me.

It's not all about you. It's not about your comfort or what any individual wants or doesn't want.  A pandemic makes it about everyone.  

It's about the possibility that you could pick up the virus and never get sick but carry it to loved ones, friends, and coworkers.  Or perhaps you'll take it to a grocery store and infect several people who then carry it home and then their loved ones carry it to others and so on, and some die.  That's what creates a pandemic.

It's incredibly naive, at best, to intentionally put oneself in an unnecessary risky position during a pandemic.  If one can't think of their own health and well being, think about loved ones and friends.  Is a movie worth risking their lives?  Is it worth someone else dying? 127,000+ dead Americans would say no.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonlady wrote:

@firestorm 

Simmer down.

Getting all hopped up over someone else's choice to live her life and return to some sort of normalcy is not good for the immune system.

@Moonlady   No kidding.  I don't know why @firestorm chose my post to quote but her shouting post actually hurt my eyes.

I told @Anonymous032819 to enjoy her movie but only questioned the seating arrangements and how wearing masks entering and exiting would continue while seated.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

My best friend and I had just started late last year, going to the movies on Wednesday's first showing matinee. We stopped when Covid hit of course. We were having a great time meeting and watching movies.

She is dying to get back in the theater, but I won't be going, regardless of how few people they put in. 

Theaters are nasty germ breeding places on a good day, and I was never really loving being in them, so it's going to be a good long time before I go again. 

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

What is the sense of wearing a mask to enter and exit if masks can be removed to eat and drink??

Will there be assigned seats or is it open seating?

Enjoy your movie but so many are available online today I'm wondering why this is such an important step for the theater??

I'm just not getting this.

-----------------------------------------

@Cakers  Your bolded statement.  This is what I've wondered about restaurants whether indoor or outdoor dining.  What about when you dine with people who aren't living under your roof?  Friends for example. They take their masks off to eat and are within inches of each other.  No doubt talking to each other as well.  How is this safe?  I don't get it.

Regarding restaurants, I can't remember the  number, maybe 6 or 8 at a table only, no matter who it is.   If you have a larger party, you have to sit at a different table.

I haven't been wearing a mask but I assume once you are seated you can remove your mask.    All the employees wear masks and every other table is closed off or removed for social distancing.

I have a friend that has been in several restaurants here since they reopened, and she says some tables have been removed, but all the booths along the walls are being filled, no dividers between them, and every booth filled, no staggering. 

Outdoor patio dining is not being socially distanced either in many places I pass by. 

I honestly don't see how it can be any safer to dine indoors than to go to a theater or a church service. All these places, indoors and people close together, even with social distancing, and in the same place for an extended period of time, are just things I'm not interested in participating in right now.

Valued Contributor

@Anonymous032819  you make a valid point when you asked is it safe to go anywhere.  I have wondered too.  

My take on going to the movies right now, sitting in 1 spot for 2 hrs or more, sitting in the dark with strangers who could be healthy or could have tested positive with mild or no symptoms and have no intention of staying home where they could remove their mask if they felt like it.  Then there's the issue about the a/c blowing it all around.

We're basically still sheltering at home and only going out for supplies.