Honored Contributor

Re: My Movie Theater is Re-Opening!

I know getting out of the house to do something is very appealing.....but I am surprised with the virus cases going up so fast in so many places, that any place is reopening when so many are having to close again.
Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Besides, I thought that people here wanted  businesses to survive.

They can't do that if people don't patronize them.

But, maybe I was wrong.

Maybe people do want to see businesses shuttered, and have people out of jobs.

The most your theater can make on admission for an entire weekend is $780. Fromwhat I've read elsewhere, they may have to give 30% of that ($234) to the studio that produced/distributed the film. That leaves less than $550 for utilities, rent/mortgage/taxes, and labor, shy of $200 per day. You have to wonder how many jobs that'll save.

Either this is a gamble to make people comfortable with the idea of going back to theaters, or they needed to reopen to avoid repaying PPP--or something like that. 

No matter what, enjoy the show.  YOLO.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Things are getting back to normal??????????

That's only if you consider the norm to be living with strict restrictions because that's now reoccurring in many states, including mine.

And to accuse anyone here of wanting businesses to fail and people be out of work is beyond belief.

If you have read my posts, you would have noticed that I said pseudo-normal, and I put the word normal in quotes ( "normal" ).

I even acknowledged that there would be some changes.

But it's something that sort of feels "normal" .

Now, pay super close attention to how I worded and wrote that.

Once again, I said sort of feels "normal" .

Nowhere did I say that things were normal.

Big difference.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

There is no need for the OP or anyone to feel they have to justify paying to go to old movies but getting services from salons is a service that most are not qualified to do  but watching old movies can be done at home so apple and orange comparison!!!   For me I never liked movie theatres.  I never did understand why it has to be pitch dark  when one theatre in my area keeps most lights on.  I also like to discuss what is happening so silently watching is silly to me.  Then there are the sticky floors and always talkers and those with ringing phones and often whinny kids. 

Then why have there been posts from women saying that they have cut their own hair and colored their own hair?

Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

There is no need for the OP or anyone to feel they have to justify paying to go to old movies but getting services from salons is a service that most are not qualified to do  but watching old movies can be done at home so apple and orange comparison!!!   For me I never liked movie theatres.  I never did understand why it has to be pitch dark  when one theatre in my area keeps most lights on.  I also like to discuss what is happening so silently watching is silly to me.  Then there are the sticky floors and always talkers and those with ringing phones and often whinny kids. 

@Pook 

I love a dark room for watching a movie.  I turn the lights out in my living room for a movie.

And people who talk during movies bug the you know what out of me which is one reason I don't like theatres to see one.  "What did she say?"  "What did he mean by that?"  "Where do you think they're going with that?"  "Who is that guy?"

SHUT UP and let other people watch the movie!!

Esteemed Contributor

In all of the years that I have gone to the movies, I have not experienced people talking, being on cell phones, or kids running rampant.

It has always been a pleasant enjoyable experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Question for those going to theaters, restaurants and other inside venues--do you pay attention to air flow in relationship to your location?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

@Marp  .....  And now the concern is if you should be using public bathrooms.

Valued Contributor

I thought we weren't allowed to touch our facemasks and I have seen people place them onto questionable surfaces while they were eating.  It is hard to only grab your facemask by the earloops because it is going to swing a bit and inevitably the front will touch something...your hand or fingers and then where do you put it?  Ick and double ick.  

Honored Contributor

Last time I went to the movies was 2003 - we were on vacation in FL and it was a rainy afternoon - so someone suggested goiing to the movies.   IT was the year I broke my arm.

Time before that, I think it was to see E.T.  Definitiely not a fan of movie theaters.