Honored Contributor

Re: My Medicare card came today

@KaySD wrote:

@gidgetgh I didn't know that they automatically signed you up for both A and B. That's great. Aren't there plans that cost the same but include drug coverage?

@KaySD  I think Medicare Advantage plans might, but I am going to go with traditional Medicare, a supplement and a drug plan. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

Me too. I turned 65 in May. Medicare is really such crappy insurance. I knew that going in but I'm really facing it now. I had health care coverage through the Coverage Act for two years after being laid off 2 years ago. I just don't know how I am going to be able to afford health care now. 

Esteemed Contributor

14 years ago, I got SCAN (medicare) and paid around $39/month premium. Last year I was in the hospital for 5 days and my bill was $2,000 - without having surgery. I never knew who to talk to about insurance plans - so I kept SCAN. I told my doctor about the cost and he had his insurance agent contact me (she handles all the insurance for his office) and can choose any insurance company.

Well - I chose another company --- no monthly premium; don't have to pay the $10 when I visit a doctor, etc.

I learned that SCAN is not an insurance co. (I thought it was) - they're administrators for Medicare. I live in California.

So - SCAN is a SCAM. I learned that it's best to call an insurance agent to give u quotes.

Valued Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I turn 65 in October and since I'm already drawing Social Security they automatically signed me up for Medicare A and B. 

After 7/1, I'll be within the 90 days and I'll be able to choose and sign up for my supplement and drug plans. 

My insurance is through my husbands former employer and they use an outside company to handle the supplemental and drug plan signup for us. I've already gotten the info from them on how to contact them so hopefully it will go smoothly. 

I am just pleased that the initial part ran smoothly with no involvement from me. 

And I can't believe I'm going to be 65 soon. Where did the time go?

Hello!  I will be 65 in Oct. too!  and I got my Medicare card as well.  Not sure which way we're going yet (hubby is 65 in Aug).  I retired in January and am on Cobra for now.  It is SO wonderful not to go to work ever again!

Esteemed Contributor

@Whosits wrote:

Me too. I turned 65 in May. Medicare is really such crappy insurance. I knew that going in but I'm really facing it now. I had health care coverage through the Coverage Act for two years after being laid off 2 years ago. I just don't know how I am going to be able to afford health care now. 

@Whosits

Please use this  link Benefitcheckup.org, and contact the department of Aging in your community.

You may qualify for some help. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tarsmom wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

I turn 65 in October and since I'm already drawing Social Security they automatically signed me up for Medicare A and B. 

After 7/1, I'll be within the 90 days and I'll be able to choose and sign up for my supplement and drug plans. 

My insurance is through my husbands former employer and they use an outside company to handle the supplemental and drug plan signup for us. I've already gotten the info from them on how to contact them so hopefully it will go smoothly. 

I am just pleased that the initial part ran smoothly with no involvement from me. 

And I can't believe I'm going to be 65 soon. Where did the time go?

Hello!  I will be 65 in Oct. too!  and I got my Medicare card as well.  Not sure which way we're going yet (hubby is 65 in Aug).  I retired in January and am on Cobra for now.  It is SO wonderful not to go to work ever again!

@tarsmom 

JMO,

I would suggest traditional Medicare A&B, a Part C plan, and a part D(drug plan).

You may want to consider a United Healthcare supplemental plan. 

You can use an local insurance agent to help you find a plan. 

Medicare. Gov has a 2020 Guide online. 

The site has  tools on the front page to help you find  Part C and D plans. 

I Do not recommend a HMO or Medicare Advantage Plan. These plans can have high out of pocket costs. 

Esteemed Contributor

Congratulations on being eligible for Medicare soon!   For me, it was such a blessing to go on Medicare 6 years ago.   I had been paying $528 a month for my company's cobra plan medical insurance.  My Medicare is now about $100 a month for comprehensive plans.  And I have much, much better coverage.   Win-win.

I won't advise which plans to choose because everyone has different needs.  Just do your homework to find which plan(s) work best for you.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh you may want to check Plan N.  It saved each of us $800 a year  over Plan G.

New Contributor

Very interesting. Same situation with my mom

Honored Contributor

I don't get it either...I still FEEL like I'm 35-40 but when I look into the mirror I have the face of an older woman...who is that?!

I turned 65 last year and started Medicare then.  A neighbor who is a broker came over to explain the different plans helped me decide that I wanted to go with the original Medicare and what supplemental plan to get.

Last month I turned 66 (!!!!) and decided to start collecting SS.  I had been paying for Medicare out of pocket quarterly but now with Medicare it will be taken automatically out of that payment.