Honored Contributor

I turn 65 in October and since I'm already drawing Social Security they automatically signed me up for Medicare A and B. 

After 7/1, I'll be within the 90 days and I'll be able to choose and sign up for my supplement and drug plans. 

My insurance is through my husbands former employer and they use an outside company to handle the supplemental and drug plan signup for us. I've already gotten the info from them on how to contact them so hopefully it will go smoothly. 

I am just pleased that the initial part ran smoothly with no involvement from me. 

And I can't believe I'm going to be 65 soon. Where did the time go?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: My Medicare card came today

l'll be signing up for SS and Medicare in a few months.  My husband's insurance also uses an outside company for our supplemental insurance signup.  Hoping things go as smoothly for me.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My birthday is soon...I contacted a broker and he came to the house, we reviewed a couple of policies and bam....I was signed up, paid for 6 months and last week he set me up for the drug plan.  It was pretty easy.  

Sheesh 65 years old....seems like I should still be 50 ish.

Respected Contributor

I've never had a single problem with Social Security or my supplement and drug plans. Even when changing drug plans everything has gone smoothly. If you do everything when you should there should be no problem.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I turn 65 in October and since I'm already drawing Social Security they automatically signed me up for Medicare A and B. 

After 7/1, I'll be within the 90 days and I'll be able to choose and sign up for my supplement and drug plans. 

My insurance is through my husbands former employer and they use an outside company to handle the supplemental and drug plan signup for us. I've already gotten the info from them on how to contact them so hopefully it will go smoothly. 

I am just pleased that the initial part ran smoothly with no involvement from me. 

It's a strange feeling, isn't it?  I turned 65 in 2019 and I remember it well.  I think 65 was the first birthday that really brought home how old I am.

You will love Medicare.  It provides 100 times the coverage of my prior employer plan.  I haven't had any problems meeting medical needs 

It also costs so much less than my employer plan.  I have Medicare, a supplemental policy, an RX policy, and eye/dental through my pension plan.  All this costs $440.00 LESS per month than my employer medical coverage.

TIP - Use GoodRX for your prescription copays.  I have 2 and the copays for 90 days worth is $224.  GoodRX coupons brought that down to $45.00.  I keep copies of those coupons in my car.  However, my pharmacy keeps them on file an automatically applies them when I refill.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh

My sister and BIL both worked for the same company. They have the same Medicare suppement plans, but different Part D insurance.

Why they take different medications and the co-pays vary by company. 

Medicare has a interactive tool on the front page of the site. It can help you compare and find a drug plans. You will find a second tool for supplement plans.

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I turned 65 in February and I so agree - where did the time go?  I worked billing Medicare for about 20 years and rarely, rarely had any problems with it paying quickly with no hitches.

Congratualations for reaching a milestone we thought we'd never reach!

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@gidgetgh

My sister and BIL both worked for the same company. They have the same Medicare suppement plans, but different Part D insurance.

Why they take different medications and the co-pays vary by company. 

Medicare has a interactive tool on the front page of the site. It can help you compare and find a drug plans. You will find a second tool for supplement plans.

@Nuttmeg - thanks. I plan to sign up for plan G, but will use that tool to find the right plan D coversge. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I loved turning 65 and qualifying for medicare.  I had been paying for private insurance for several years and it was getting extremely expensive.  I felt like I got a raise because medicare is so much cheaper.  

Trusted Contributor

@gidgetgh I didn't know that they automatically signed you up for both A and B. That's great. Aren't there plans that cost the same but include drug coverage?