Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Husband Spent 5 Hours In The Emergency Room Last Night

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@NicksmomESQ  I read where they give patients 7 - 10 days of antibiotics - did the doctor prescribe any for him? Also read that fruits, e.g., bananas, tangerines, and pears, to name a few, are good for that as well. Hope your husband feels better soon.

@Mimi 1883  They only prescribe antibiotics if there's a fever .Without a fever they felt he was better off without them. As far as high fiber fruits once his colon is healed those foods are fine.Right now they don't want his colon working to digest anything. They want him on liquids for 3 days until the pain is gone.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ   OMG. You have had quite a year. Yes, at least one person should be allowed if it's an emergency room situation, but I understand why they make those rulings. I'll be thinking about both of you and hope your Hubby rests comfortably and feels better soon.  

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ :  You must live in a covid hotspot if you couldn't even access hospital parking lot.  I'm glad they expect DH to get better.

Honored Contributor

I don't think that you can compare this visit to previous visits timewise.  Each visit is different and requires different things to be done.  My experience with ER's and medial facilities in general is that things move slowly.  Most of the time is spent waiting.  Waiting on a doctor availability or a machine availability or a test to come back.  

I had to take my hubby to the ER a few montha ago after he showed up at the door covered in blood after rolling the trash to the curb.  They did allow me to go in and sit with him and I froze to death.  Hospitals are always cold; I should've known to take a jacket in.  I sat with him for 5 hours too.  Most of that time was spent waiting.  

The beginning of your story I thought was going to be like a friend of mine who is a nurse.  Her husband was complaining about some pain and she basically was telling him to suck it up.  Turns out he had appendicities.  They have had a lot of fun with that one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ 

I am so sorry that your husband is suffering from diverticulitis, and am glad that he is on the road to healing.

It seems cruel to me that they won't let at least one family member to be with the patient.

I understand why they don't allow it, but that doesn't mean that I agree with it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

Sure hope you and your hubby are doing better.  I wish hospitals would let just one person in a waiting room so your love one would know you're close by.  

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  Please visit your own doctor as soon as your husband is able. Diverticulitis  can become very serious if not watched. I will not go into the complications as hopefully you will not have to deal with them, but your own doctor should be aware of this situation.

Respected Contributor

That is scary. It is good he is home healing.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ I'm wishing you well and wish your husband a speedy recovery. I know only too well how slow things go in the ER having taken my mom many times. At a time when you're not feeling well and frightened, not having a loved one by your side is very difficult.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

My DH spent a couple of days with pain in his lower left side. At first it started feeling better but yesterday it suddenly got a lot worse.

First I called Teladoc & was told to take him to ER. I called my son who lives about 35 minutes away. He & my DiL jumped in their car & came to take us.

I was not allowed in the ER with DH so he had to go in by himself. The 3 of us had to sit in the car & wait off the hospital grounds.All the visitor parking lots were closed. DH & I communicated by cellphone.Although DH said the ER wasn't crowded things moved very slow.He was very scared & upset that he was alone.

After 2 hours of me crying because I couldn't be with my husband & freezing in the car we decided to drive back to my house & wait there. I only live about 20 minutes from the hospital with no traffic.

After running all sorts of tests including blood work & a CT Scan he was diagnosed with a mild case of diverticulitis. He was discharged & told to go on a liquid diet for 3 days, get bed rest & drink plenty of water.They also recommended warm baths,a heating pad & Tylenol for the pain.

My DH walked into ER at 6:45 pm & walked out at 11:45pm. In the past we have never spent more than a couple of hours there.
  I have to say that my son & DIL were awesome. They were compassionate & supportive the entire time. When I started to cry my DIL cried too. She was upset that she couldn't hug me because of Covid.They got food & insisted I eat.

Life has been very difficult for my family this year. But I still remain grateful that we are well & have eachother. 

@NicksmomESQ I hope your husband will be ok. My mom suffers from Diverticulitis as well, it can be very painful! You have a great family and support system! Our hospital is like that too, no one allowed in unless patient is elderly and can't answer for themselves, or of course children, its very scary for the patients for sure! Take Care and Happy Holidays to you and your family.....