Esteemed Contributor

My Husband Spent 5 Hours In The Emergency Room Last Night

My DH spent a couple of days with pain in his lower left side. At first it started feeling better but yesterday it suddenly got a lot worse.

First I called Teladoc & was told to take him to ER. I called my son who lives about 35 minutes away. He & my DiL jumped in their car & came to take us.

I was not allowed in the ER with DH so he had to go in by himself. The 3 of us had to sit in the car & wait off the hospital grounds.All the visitor parking lots were closed. DH & I communicated by cellphone.Although DH said the ER wasn't crowded things moved very slow.He was very scared & upset that he was alone.

After 2 hours of me crying because I couldn't be with my husband & freezing in the car we decided to drive back to my house & wait there. I only live about 20 minutes from the hospital with no traffic.

After running all sorts of tests including blood work & a CT Scan he was diagnosed with a mild case of diverticulitis. He was discharged & told to go on a liquid diet for 3 days, get bed rest & drink plenty of water.They also recommended warm baths,a heating pad & Tylenol for the pain.

My DH walked into ER at 6:45 pm & walked out at 11:45pm. In the past we have never spent more than a couple of hours there.
  I have to say that my son & DIL were awesome. They were compassionate & supportive the entire time. When I started to cry my DIL cried too. She was upset that she couldn't hug me because of Covid.They got food & insisted I eat.

Life has been very difficult for my family this year. But I still remain grateful that we are well & have eachother. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Husband Spent 5 Hours In The Emergency Room Last Night

@NicksmomESQ That was scary for your family, and it sounds like you have a great family to help you.  Glad your husband is home.  

Our ER allowed one person in the room with the patient.  I am very thankful for that.  We thought at first there were no visitors allowed.  

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry you all had to go through this.  It must be the way many are operating at this time.  Continue to pray this finds a way to get cleared up and we can stop all the suffering sooner rather than later!!  My husband has the same thing, going on in his system, and I continue to pray, we don't have more serious things going on.  This is bad enough.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ   Prayers that your husband will be on the mend.  It  certainly is scary having to go to the ER during this time and worse still that you can't be with your loved one, or even be sitting in a waiting room.

I had to take my Significant Other to the ER in August, but at least they had a waiting room set up so I could keep tabs on his status.

Took about seven hours before he was released, having had a mild 

transient ischemic attack.  He is okay now.

I don't drive so I wouldn't have a car to sit in to wait it out for seven hours.  Guess I would have been perched on a planter or retaining wall outside somewhere in the vicinity.

aroc3435

Washington, DC 

Honored Contributor

Prayers for your husband's recovery and for comfort for you and your family....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  I hope that your husband is feeling better this morning.  It sounds like you have a wonderful family.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry to hear of that. Sometimes triage can be the cause. Seems like times we had to be in ER, there would be a bad car crash or something that put us on the end of the list for

care. 

Trusted Contributor

@NicksmomESQ  I read where they give patients 7 - 10 days of antibiotics - did the doctor prescribe any for him? Also read that fruits, e.g., bananas, tangerines, and pears, to name a few, are good for that as well. Hope your husband feels better soon.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

I've always maintained that no one should go to the hospital or ER alone.  It is just too traumatic for one person to deal with alone.  Yet, this is exactly what is happening.  Oh, for the end of this!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

@Still Stylish Lady  Yes, Triage was in control.But DH did say that he was treated very well. The doctor, PA & nurse were all very patient & kind.