Super Contributor

Re: My Grocery Store Trip Was Surprising

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like this--it sounded so good when I saw it advertised on t.v.--not good at all-----------------------marynjWoman Sad

Respected Contributor

For the last few weeks I have been ordering food, etc. at Walmart.  I don't normally shop there but they have the grocery pickup feature where they load it into your car.  The first time everything went fine, the second time they didn't have my order (even though I was notified by email that it was ready for pickup) and I had to wait while they put it together and brought it out.  Later today I will be picking up my third order and hope it goes smoothly.  So, I haven't set foot in a grocery store in weeks.  

Honored Contributor

Oh, for those interested in "quickie" omelets that don't have that 'pre-fab' quality, here's what I do when I don't want to fool with melting butter, tilting the pan at just the right moment, ha.  In fact, we had these last night.

Crack 2 or 3 eggs in a quart zip lock bag.  Put in your preferred fillings-- I put in grated cheese, and some leftover potatoes and onions I had roasted in the oven earlier. 

Oh-- before I put those fillings in, I usually squeeze the egg around in the bag to make sure it is all mixed-- you could also beat it with a fork in a bowl, then dump in the zip lock with fillings. Sqeeze around gently.  Zip it up, and drop the bag(s) in merrily boiling water.  Maximum 3 bags at a time in the pot.

In 13 minutes you will have a filled omelet, that you just carefully dump out on a plate.  The French bistro would not approve, but it's tasty, home made, and quick.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell    Sous Vide  Woman Happy

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

This thread surprises me.  I have shopped in two local grocery stores during the last month, one of them today.  Both stores were as well stocked as ever.  Choices were widely varied and plentiful, including paper products and cleaning supplies.  Had it not been for the arrows marking aisles as one-way and the masks and gloves most of us were wearing today, you wouldn't guess anything was wrong. 

@IamMrsG 

That's really interesting, but it would help if you could share something about your location. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags   Ohio.   

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @IamMrsG !  So are you in a city, a small town, or rural?  I lived in Columbus in the 70s when Mr. Shoes was doing graduate work at OSU.  Those were Woody Hayes days.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG--  yes!

Trusted Contributor

@patbz I'm in N. Central Phx and went to my local Safeway yesterday.  FINALLY, paper good aisles full.  TP, paper towels, napkins, but no sanitizing products like wipes.  Today I went to Sprouts and there was a lot of fresh organic produce that I appreciated.   I'm very familiar with your area (have visited many times) and hope the distribution chain filters up there ASAP!!

Esteemed Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@icezeus I have read where the "powers that be" recommend not using self checkout as the buttons used to check out have been used by too many people

@tobes 

You are absolutely right. I use gloves, and dispose of them in the trash can in front of the store before I leave. Upon arriving home I wipe down everything with a sanitizing wipe in my car, including the seatbelt. I then wash my hands. My brother told me that I should immediately take a shower when I come into the house as well, but I have not taken that step yet. My poor SIL.  LOL