Respected Contributor

Re: My Grocery Store Trip Was Surprising

I haven't been to the grocery since a week ago this past Monday.  Cases are on the uptick, so I am laying low mainly to protect my husband.  I do have an order for pick up at the end of this week so we will see.

My daughter did go early this morning.  She said they were well stocked with bread,milk, and eggs.  She was also lucky to grab one of the last packages of pork chops and the smoky link sausages (grandson loves both).  No toilet paper, but she didn't need any.  She did need kleenex so she noticed the empty shelves.  She was able to get most of what she needed. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Gourmet wrote:

Hi. I tried them a while ago.  They are the worst things I have ever eaten.  You would think, being Ore Ida they might be OK.  No such luck.  Hope this helps. 

@Gourmet WOW! Thanks!  DS is a builder and runs out to take care of his 5 crews.  He, (unlike myself), loves breakfast.  I thought he might like that product.  Good to know.  Thank you!

Respected Contributor

@ECBG, I've seen it advertised on TV, but haven't looked for them in the store. I usually buy Jimmy Dean breakfast bowls. I don't really cook for myself so I live on microwave dinners andd sandwiches which is why I'm getting nervous with most of th frozen food being out of stock.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Disney released their recipe for the Dole Whip served in their parks.  I'll betcha lots of people are sitting at home eating Dole Whip.  It takes pinapple chunks, pinapple juice and vanilla ice cream to make it.

Honored Contributor

Received a home delivery from PeaPod yesterday ordered 2 weeks ago.  Got everything but instant coffee.  Fortunately, I did order ground, too, but it gives me the jitters even though I make it weak. 

Surprised I received bananas and the chicken I ordered.  Both were not available a few days ago when I checked.  They were available the day before my delivery date, but figured they'd be sold out by the time my order was packed.  

The instant coffee order placed 3 weeks ago from Walmart wasn't received either.  Delayed. 

Respected Contributor

@icezeus I have read where the "powers that be" recommend not using self checkout as the buttons used to check out have been used by too many people

Honored Contributor

My last trip was 7am on Good Friday to a small grocery store with about a dozen aisles. There was plenty of everything on my list, but shelves were emptier than before Covid-19 reached our state. Young people were bagging groceries and checking us out.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@catter70 

Have you seen this?  Looks great!

Kraft Heinz launching new breakfast brand | 2018-02-26 | Food ...

ECBGG I tried these, they're not that great, you're better off making your own omelet.

Respected Contributor

This thread surprises me.  I have shopped in two local grocery stores during the last month, one of them today.  Both stores were as well stocked as ever.  Choices were widely varied and plentiful, including paper products and cleaning supplies.  Had it not been for the arrows marking aisles as one-way and the masks and gloves most of us were wearing today, you wouldn't guess anything was wrong. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@ECBG,  our local grocery store has a shopping service, which I've used for the last 3 weeks, the last time being today.  We call in order, they pull from shelves, we pull up at designated time, and they put bags in trunk.

We've had rolling shortages in the last month of different things; once I couldn't get a whole roasting chicken, once there was no ground turkey.  Once there was no bread except L.A. cinnamon bread, ha.  Today they were out of the "Lactaid" milk I always get, although they had regular milk.

Toilet paper shortage seems to have ended!   This is what it must have been somewhat like when there was food rationing in the past.  I'm so thankful that the food supply chain is holding, even though at various times we can't get exactly what we want.