Respected Contributor

Re: My GD is so sad (Toys R Us) - Geoffrey retiring 😉

I heard on the news the other day that Geoffrey is "retiring" to a children's hospital.  I forgot which one and where.  Maybe your GD would feel better to know he will now be cheering up sick kids Smiley Happy  (It was a giant stuffed one; not an actual person/character.)

Honored Contributor

@Bird mama

Oh my I completely forgot about the family!  Thanks for reminding me!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VanSleepy wrote:

I heard on the news the other day that Geoffrey is "retiring" to a children's hospital.  I forgot which one and where.  Maybe your GD would feel better to know he will now be cheering up sick kids Smiley Happy  (It was a giant stuffed one; not an actual person/character.)

@VanSleepy - DD told me tonight the giant Geoffrey statue at the Toys R Us main office in Wayne, NJ is going to a children's hospital in New Brunswick, NJ. She and her friends are going to our local store tomorrow after work to say goodbye! 

She also said she heard a rumor that after liquidation, a famous wealthy buyer is hoping to rebuild and buy the rights to the name. Don't know if that will happen - just a rumor. But I think kids today need a toy store like we all grew up with! 

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@VanSleepy wrote:

@VanSleepy - DD told me tonight the giant Geoffrey statue at the Toys R Us main office in Wayne, NJ is going to a children's hospital in New Brunswick, NJ. She and her friends are going to our local store tomorrow after work to say goodbye! 

She also said she heard a rumor that after liquidation, a famous wealthy buyer is hoping to rebuild and buy the rights to the name. Don't know if that will happen - just a rumor. But I think kids today need a toy store like we all grew up with! 

I live in NJ so that could be why it was on my local news.  The Cancer Institute is in New Brunswick.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom

@VanSleepy

My friends' young son spends many days at that hospital so I'm thrilled to hear it's going to be there.  The staff of professionals do a wonderful job for these children.  This statute will definitely be a wonderful place to bring joy to these children (and their parents & families).

Thank you for sharing that info!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@beach-mom

@VanSleepy

My friends' young son spends many days at that hospital so I'm thrilled to hear it's going to be there.  The staff of professionals do a wonderful job for these children.  This statute will definitely be a wonderful place to bring joy to these children (and their parents & families).

Thank you for sharing that info!

@homedecor1 - That is good to hear! Thank YOU for telling us about this! I don't think we've seen the last of the character Geoffrey either. Since the statue is there, I can see a "Geoffrey" going around to visit the children too! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It seems to be the way of the world.  Companies go out of business and new ones will open up.  It's almost like recycling.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@homedecor1  What a lovely way to explain it to your GD!  She sounds wonderful.  Although I did not shop there as a child, I have depended on it as a teacher for my Hot Dots and other educational items.  I wish Mr. Geoffrey well!

This brought nostalgia to my mind today at the toy store that was part of my childhood:

"Lionel Playworld...Turn that frown upside down"!!  Maybe the Liionel Kangaroos will welcome Geoffrey to the retirement community!Cat Very Happy  Sweet memories!

Image result for lionel playworld

I'm not short...I'm fun size!