Honored Contributor

My GD is so sad (Toys R Us) - Geoffrey retiring 😉

[ Edited ]

At 6 she is feeling sad about Toys R Us.  Her dad took her there to get a little something because she had a perfect report card & end of school treat.

She said to me "I'm so sad Grandmom I'm coming to your house next week & that was our fun trip".    I told her Geoffrey was there a long long time he was going to retire!

She said "to FL like all the old people like you & pop pop?" Right out of the mouths of babes...just what she's thinking. LOL

EDC03D7B-2354-4518-AA53-9AA033430C79.jpeg

Happy Retirement Geoffrey!!!!  Thanks for the great memories!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: My GD is so sad (Toys R Us)

That was a sweet way to explain it to your GD.  

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 - So am I! I remember when DD was a toddler we would pass the store and she would say, "Toys R Us - OUT!" We all laughed about that! Good memories of DS too, starting with toys and bikes and ending up with video games. I think it started to go downhill when it took in the educational line. There is certainly nothing wrong with that, but we already had, and still have, a store for that. TRU was a treat - going there to spend "Geoffrey dollars" was so much fun!

I couldn't go in once they put the sign up. Actually, I didn't shop there much any longer. I didn't buy a whole lot of toys.

Thank you for posting that picture of Geoffrey. It is SO appropriate! Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Aww she sounds so sweet!  I agree with her! ....It is sad.  My kids loved Toys r Us.  Lots of good memories.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Re: My GD is so sad (Toys R Us) - Geoffrey retiring 😉

I feel for her.  This is a truly sad time.

I am 39 -  I grew up with Toys R Us and have such great memories of it.  The town I moved into two years ago had the biggest, most beautiful Toys R Us.  It was my "go to" store for everything child-related.  I was in there weekly from October - December! 

My daughters are now 4 and 7.  They LOVED going there and are truly sad about it.  I feel their pain  because I feel the same way.  I haven't stepped foot into  our Toys R Us since they announced they were closing.  I know it sounds ridiculous, but I just want to remember it the way it was.  I kept hoping someone would save it, but they haven't and now it's over.  It's the end of an era. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

That was a great explanation @homedecor1. My 5 year old granddaughter was sad too...I am very sad, as I loved taking my grandkids in there, and I loved to Christmas and Birthday shop in there as well. We had a really nice one here, with super nice and helpful employees. It is very sad, end of an ERA......

Honored Contributor

I took my three year old Granddaughter a couple of Sat.'s back for a  final shopping trip and it was so sad to see the store so empty.  She is still young enough to have only really noticed what we were looking at and carrying to the checkout.  It did not register to her much about so many empty shelves and aisles blocked off to parts of the store.  Hard to believe the "toy store" is disappearing.  I told my DDIL the next morning when she came to pick my GD up after the sleepover I thought the store would be lucky to stay open until the July 4th holiday. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

I'm sad too. I took my two boys to the store I went to whne I was a kid.  Going to miss the trips to the toy store.

Deb

Honored Contributor

It is indeed a sad day for those of us who shopped Toys R Us.  Does anyone remember his wife Gigi and his kids Junior and Baby Gee?

For old time's sake, here's a link to a Toys R Us Christmas commercial.  

https://youtu.be/e_sWmWM7-fs

I have great nieces who are 7, 6 and 2 and I shopped for them at Toys R Us.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's a very nice explanation.

I'm sad, too. Toys R Us was one of my favorite places as a child and I have a lot of happy memories of saving and spending my allowance there. Even in my teens and early 20s, it was where I went for games, video games, and LEGO sets.

I redid my aquarium when I was 19 or 20 and filled it with LEGO creations from I built from pirate themed sets and I still remember the trip to Toys R Us to choose from the LEGO sets.