Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Friend Thought I was Too Forgiving.

@Love my grandkids  I don't know why my friend sometimes speaks before she thinks.  She will do anything for anyone, she's smart, funny etc.  For whatever reason, a situation will arise, and she gets snippy.

I have known her for decades, but I suspect in this case, she was worried how the call affected me.

Regular Contributor

I agree. Your friend is mean.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2...I went through the same thing when my DH died six months ago. The call was upsetting for me, but it wasn't the ladie's fault who called me, so I didn't go off on her. She apologized for the call.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

You handled it exactly right.  There's no way the office girl would be aware of what happened in your life. Your friend is totally wrong in my view.

Respected Contributor

Why would she think it would be justified to "rip the woman a new one" if you had forgotten to cancel the appointment?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I have known her for decades, but I suspect in this case, she was worried how the call affected me.

That's what I was thinking, she was just being protective of you.  Like you and others have said, what more could the poor girl do?  She was just doing her job, and she apologized profusely.  You can never go wrong being kind.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 Your friend is wrong. You did right. 

Honored Contributor

'....ripped the woman a new one....'

Oh

My

Goodness

The young lady didn't know, she apologized. 
Done deal.

I kinda stunned of the lack of empathy on the friend's part.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

A young woman from my DH's doctor's office called today to remind DH of his yearly appointment Monday 12/23 @ 10:00am.  I was caught off guard.and said he died in May.

The woman was beside herself, kept apologizing,  I told her it was okay, told her to have a good holiday and we hung up. I think she may have been new as a different girl called any other time. I forgot to call and cancel the appointment. He died in May and I wasn't thinking 7 months ahead.

My friend called right after I hung up with Dr.'s office and we were talking about the call. She would have ripped the woman a new one.  She can be "intense" for lack of a better word.

My therory is it wasn't intentional, the woman felt bad enough, why would I make her feel worse than she already did. What purpose would it serve?

Thoughts?

@CrazyKittyLvr2  You are completely in the right and your friend is completely in the wrong. Your friend has some issues with reasoning and empathy. She does not put herself into the position of the person calling you that had no idea your husband had passed. 

Honored Contributor

Ok, so what was there to forgive?????

The woman calling didn't know your husband had passed away. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?