Trusted Contributor

Re: My First Movie Theatre Visit Since 1992

haven't been to te movies in ages.  nothing seems interesting to me. but the prices sure have soared.  

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

We go to the movies every 6 weeks or so, I tend to prefer an I Pic or Alamo where you know your seat and there is no rush to get there 

Alamo Drafthouse is my favorite!

Respected Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Honestly,  the thought of sitting in a darkened room with a bunch of strangers with my back to the door terrifies me.

i didn't grow up this way but it is how I feel now.

That's too bad. Movie theaters can make you feel vulnerable because of the darkness and few exits, but they're comparatively quite safe. You're at greater risk of getting killed by a lightning strike than an attack at a movie theater.

The United States has averaged about 52 deaths a year by lightning strikes over the last 20 years. In that same time 20 year period, approximately 20 people were killed inside movie theaters, and 12 of those were in one mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado. 

As s a reference point:

Annual average slip and fall deaths in the United States: 33,381

Annual average deaths as a result of a motor vehicle accident:  37,757

Every act of violence is awful and most people want to avoid violence, but the news makes it feel like we're in much greater danger of violence than we are. The truth is, crime rates are down and most places in the U.S. are safer now than when I was a teenager.

I cannot link to it because of political content, but you may want to check out the Pew Research article called 5 Facts About Crime in the U.S..

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I still love going to the movie theater. To each her own of course, but I can't imagine not going for that long. It's one of the only things to do where I live. I go to matinees, cheaper and less crowded. With the reclining seats I find that other people are less annoying. There are fewer seats so that helps too. Don't care to go at night or on the weekends like I used to years ago.

I used to love going to a movie with my Mom, I miss that so much. 

And for seniors, all the movie theaters in my city have discount prices for seniors (age requirement varies by theater but I now meet all the minimum age requirements!) Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I love to go to the movies.  I go to a matinee at the mall the next city over from me.  Theater is always clean and people are polite. It is only $5.00 on Tuesday.  I don't eat at the theater.  The mall has the Cheesecake Factory and P.F. Chang plus several higher end restaurants for a late lunch/early dinner. 

Honored Contributor

Haven't been to a movie theatre since the late 80s......and do not have any desire to go now.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl wrote:

Honestly,  the thought of sitting in a darkened room with a bunch of strangers with my back to the door terrifies me.

i didn't grow up this way but it is how I feel now.

@Chicagosuburbangirl- I can't exactly say it terrifies me, but I don't feel very comfortable at the movies anymore. Ever since the world turned upside down, it's no longer the same cozy feeling I used to get sitting in the darkened theater.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

I don't enjoy going to the movies any more for too many reasons to count.  Last time I went was in 1999.