Respected Contributor

Re: My First Movie Theatre Visit Since 1992

I love to go to the movies & I would go weekly, if I could.

I don't always get a popcorn, but sometimes I must.

Our local theater is a small, 4 screen theater & tickets are $5

If it's a movie that I think needs more atmosphere I go to the large theater that is about a 45 minute drive. It has the big recliner seats & tickets are around $10.

We did take 3 of the grandsons to see The Grinch last week. Just to the small theater in town. It was fun & they had a great time. I took brown paper lunch bags, bought a large popcorn & divided it up.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl  The last movie saw was bridges of Madison County in 1995.  So you are not alone.  I do not enjoy watching a movie with a room full of strangers and they have the volume too LOUD.  With all the recent shootings I would never go today

Honored Contributor

The audio is way too loud for me...........I can't hear for days after going to a movie,  so I don't go

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

Honestly,  the thought of sitting in a darkened room with a bunch of strangers with my back to the door terrifies me.

i didn't grow up this way but it is how I feel now.

Trusted Contributor

My husband hates going to the movies, for all of the reasons mentioned above.  When I was able to talk him into going a few years back, a fight broke out right across the aisle from us.  The police came to break it up, and took the guys away.  Meanwhile, the movie kept running through all of the chaos.  Needless to say, he has never wanted to go again.  

Esteemed Contributor

DH and I enjoy going to the movies when there is one that we really want to see. Yes, they're more expensive now, and the refreshments are not cheap. That said, I enjoy getting out with DH (who has health issues). I don't care if I pay $10 or $12 for popcorn and a soft drink since it's a nice afternoon out and he can manage it. The only thing I don't like is how loud the speakers are!

Respected Contributor

I love to go to the movies. My son and I use AMC’s subscription program. For $20 a month, you can see 3 movies a week. There are also discounts at the concession stand.
Valued Contributor

Krimpette  just read your post and you and I have something in common my last trip to the movie theater was back when everyone was seeing Titanic and my teenage daughter was crazy for Leonardo DiCaprio so we went.

I am just as happy not going to a movie theaters I  enjoy my Netflix .

Honored Contributor

Yes indeed, the movie experience has changed a lot in 26 years.  Especially movie ticket prices and refreshment prices.  Although, the choices are greater than anyone would have ever believe possible.  They serve whole meals now and you can have them bring it to your seat.  But, if you really want to splurge you can go to the section that looks like a fine dining room and you can order a gourmet meal served by the waiters.  We have never done that.  Probably never will.  But I love the gourmet pizzas.  However, the baby carriages, the cranky 2 year olds, people talking on cell phones.  You do run into bad behavior that didn't happen 26 years ago.  So, we haven't been to a movie in quite some time.  When we do go, we try to go very late in the evening.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some lady friends and I (3 or 4 besides myself)  go quite often and the only thing I dislike is that one of us has to go on-line in plenty of time ahead and pick our seats and pay for them with a charge card or we chance being all split up, sometimes just one of us sitting away from the others because most movie goers are doing the same thing. No way we would wait till we get to the theatre to buy tickets. If for some unexpected reason one of us can't go last minute too bad so sad, still have to pay the friend who charged the tickets so she's not out the money.

One time earlier this year when we went to see that musical with Hugh Jackman about the circus, the friend who went on-line had to take the front row as that's all that was left.

OMG never again, that was brutal being up that close. Talk about getting a kink in your neck.