Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My First Movie Theatre Visit Since 1992

When my sister and I were kids, we went to the show every Saturday afternoon and it cost 25¢.  We each had a quarter to go to the drug store for 5 pieces of candy.  I didn't like the show then & I still don't like it.  The last movie that my DH and I went to was Tootsie.  The last time I went to the theater was with my almost 3 year old dgs & he will be 18 in January.  We saw Polar Express & he was afraid of the Big Screen and the loudness of the movie.  He sat on my lap and shook the entire time, but he didn't want to leave.  The theatre had nice padded swivel seats.  I don't know what they have now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't wrap my brain around the fact the original song was released in 1975!

Where has the time gone?

And I still don't know all the words but never stops me from singing along.

I go to the movies a couple of times a year, our local matinee is $6

Sometimes I get the popcorn, but generally I don't eat anything.

I only go to a movie that looks good on a big screen, with all the speakers.

Sometimes I spring for the IMAX, it's $13

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I've gone to the movies more in the 2 years I've lived in Chicago than in the previous decade.  My biggest complaint is the endless commercials and previews.  But the movies I've seen, The Post, Darkest Hour, and HD opera have been very enjoyable.  I also go to the first showing of the day, theater is practically empty and never buy any refreshments.  $5 for a small box of popcorn??  I don't think so.  

You are so right about the cost of refreshments. They make a killing on them. We have friends that go to a nearby theatre and pay $5 for the show.  Then they pay $10 for unlimited popcorn and a soft drink.

Respected Contributor

Haven’t gone in years. Watch at home.

Respected Contributor

Fourteen years since we had been to the movie theater and we went yesterday. Took our great nieces to see The Grinch. Wow what a change!! Reclining seats, the volume at a decent level and when you purchase a ticket it is for a specific seat. Also wine and beer sold now.

Esteemed Contributor

We go to the movies at the mall almost weekly year round. We only pay 6.50 for early afternoon shows, and they just installed reclining seats, a bar, and better food etc (but we don't buy food its expensive). We also have a theatre that has 5 dollar seats and 1.25 popcorn in a college town nearby. We go there at times too. Anyway our theatre at the mall, we are waiting for them to raise prices being they remodeled but so far they haven't. PS Saw Bohemian Rhapsody too. Its my favorite movie of the whole year of movies. Loved it! That and A Star is Born best movies all year IMO.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Esteemed Contributor

Blocked off seats were for you - management likes to keep those attending in a controlled area rather than let people just roam around.  1.  safety reason to keep people confined to a specific area   2.  The clean up crew only has to refresh the area you occupied and not walk through the entire area looking for dropped popcorn on the floors. 

Respected Contributor

Its been a few years, i think the last movie was one of the Minions sequels. Just do not enjoy being in a dark place for 2 hours and In the movie theater you can't hit the Pause button when the bladder is bursting...

Honored Contributor

We go to the movies every 6 weeks or so, I tend to prefer an I Pic or Alamo where you know your seat and there is no rush to get there 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl  I think I can beat you.  Last movie I saw was Tootsy.

Early 80s I think.