Esteemed Contributor

My First Movie Theatre Visit Since 1992

I must be the only person who does not go to movies.  My friend wanted to see Bohemian Rhapsody and I went with her.  The movies have changed in 26 years.  I could not believe recliner seats or that the matinee was 9.75,  We broiught our own refreshments but the prices there were outrageous.  Also, state police presence during a matinee.

The movie was great and thought-provoking as my cousin died of the same thing,  Seeing Live Aid again was a real treat.  Looking back to the 1970's was like looking at a time capsule.

Not sure when I will do it again, if ever, but it was a fun afternoon.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: My First Movie Theatre Visit Since 1992

The theatres make the money on the refreshments/candy - and not on the ticket prices.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl, you and I are alike.  Haven’t been to see a movie in years.  I can always wait for it to available to stream or watch in tv.  I think the cinemas are having a hard time these days.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom, I don't even watch movies at home.  I only went because of friendship but ended up enjoying it immensely.

Honored Contributor

The last time I was in a movie theater was for Titanic, if I recall correctly.  And I don't miss it at all.

Honored Contributor

I still love going to the movie theater. To each her own of course, but I can't imagine not going for that long. It's one of the only things to do where I live. I go to matinees, cheaper and less crowded. With the reclining seats I find that other people are less annoying. There are fewer seats so that helps too. Don't care to go at night or on the weekends like I used to years ago.

I used to love going to a movie with my Mom, I miss that so much. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I enjoy the movies, and some things are just made for a big screen. It is cheap entertainment ,and  many things are very enjoyable for us

I am glad you had a nice time

Respected Contributor

The last movie I saw in a theatre was Moonstruck in 1987....just got tried of rude nonstop talkers.

Esteemed Contributor

@kitcat51, I was concerned about that but there were only about 10 seats that were even available.  All other seats were blocked off for some reason.  We were told to pick our seats and it appeared that the theatre was full, but when we looked, it was almost empty.   I have no idea why most of the seats were unavailable.

Honored Contributor

I've gone to the movies more in the 2 years I've lived in Chicago than in the previous decade.  My biggest complaint is the endless commercials and previews.  But the movies I've seen, The Post, Darkest Hour, and HD opera have been very enjoyable.  I also go to the first showing of the day, theater is practically empty and never buy any refreshments.  $5 for a small box of popcorn??  I don't think so.