Respected Contributor

Re: My First Fathers Day Without My Dad

I still miss my dad after 25 years. He was and always be my hero.

Valued Contributor

I lost my father just over 18 months ago and I miss him everyday just as the poem states.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's tougn.  Focus on the memories.  

Trusted Contributor

@vsm,
Ugh, so sorry about your dad. Prayers to you and your family.
Contributor

Mine also. My sister and I had a good cry this morning. I've dreaded this day since he died in Feb. But I made it through ok. He would be proud of me.

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:
@vsm,
Ugh, so sorry about your dad. Prayers to you and your family.

And to you and yours, @roeroe1005 .  I'm thinking good and grateful thoughts, and hope you're able to as well.

Respected Contributor

Condolences on the loss of you dad.  My heart empathizes with the feelings you are going through.  There is an emptiness in a person's being and the hurt is felt and remains within that space and there is nothing that can fill or replace it.

As some have said it does get easier but to be honest I have found that the only thing that becomes easier is the acceptance of the loss.  The hurt, pain, and tears remain however the love and affection remain and even grows and this is something no one can take away from you.

I do something that some call silly and even stupid to "honor" a loss.  I buy a big helium balloon, and write a note, punch a hole on that note and attach it to the bottom of the balloon.  I let it go  and watch it as it flies up into the heavens and away where it no longer be seen.  It is my way of sending a note up to heaven to those I love.

I shared that with you today because it was Father's Day and that is what I did.  My dad died in 1981. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was quite young when my dad died.  I was 16.  He died on the campus he was teaching.  He had a heart attack. He was pronounced dead at the scene.   His death threw off  our family off kilter.  My mother was a non citizen working in the U.S. We didn't know if we should go back to Italy or stay.  Finally we elected to stay and become citizens. 

I was in the middle of class in shcool, when the principal called me down to tell me what happend.  My mother was there. He died one day, and was buried the next day according to Jewish laws.  So everything happened very quickly.  The morning period is afterwards.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@september 

My condolences at your double loss of the men in your life.  Hoping you can find some peace and comfort in their memories.

@Witchy Woman   Thank you.  I like to think of them as hanging out together, in heaven, telling each other political jokes....the kind that no one else cared for.   They really enjoyed each other’s company.  

Honored Contributor

Such a lovely, warm, poignant tribute to your father, @Anonymous032819.    My dear, joyful, exuberant, kind, and loving father passed away when I was 17, yet I still remember all the "firsts" in the year following.   We don't get over it...  somehow we get through it.    For me, focusing on gratitude, celebrating his life, and carrying forward his unique legacy has helped tremendously.   I can see, and I do feel, that you are doing that, @Anonymous032819.    For you, and for all reading and posting, I offer my condolences, my prayers, and my hope for you to find comfort and solace.   I hope it helps for you to know you're not alone.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova