Honored Contributor

I am in my mid 60's and this is my first bee sting.  I was watering flowers on my deck and in the corner of the iron fence some bees were hanging out and I watered them and one or two came after me and I hit them but I still got it.  I sprayed Bactine on it which actually helped with the pain.  Then I went on line and found out about baking soda and water and making a paste and let it sit on for 10 minutes.  It takes down the swelling.  It did take some of the swelling down but I have no idea how long you experience swelling and discomfort.  I do not see a stinger.  If you are familiar with bee stings, please brief me.  Cat Mad

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I was stung for the first time in my life a few weeks ago, a friend immediately game me benadryl which stopped the swelling, unfortunately the su**ker hit a vein and i was black and blue for a week.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

If you did not find a stinger then most likely the thing that stung you may have been a wasp or hornet. Bees will usually leave a stinger behind but sometimes it won't get noticed because it has been swept away during the kaos.

Respected Contributor

If you ever get stung again and see the stinger, take a credit card and just swipe it away - don't squeeze it to pull it off - it pumps the venon into you.  I am highly allergic - if this is your first time, be aware of your symptoms.  If you feel suddenly tired or lethargic - get to an urgent care.  The itching will probably drive you nuts if he left venom.  They say meat tenderizer is good too.  Make a paste out of it. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I am in my mid 60's and this is my first bee sting.  I was watering flowers on my deck and in the corner of the iron fence some bees were hanging out and I watered them and one or two came after me and I hit them but I still got it.  I sprayed Bactine on it which actually helped with the pain.  Then I went on line and found out about baking soda and water and making a paste and let it sit on for 10 minutes.  It takes down the swelling.  It did take some of the swelling down but I have no idea how long you experience swelling and discomfort.  I do not see a stinger.  If you are familiar with bee stings, please brief me.  Cat Mad

@Katcat1  Like spider bites, bee stings can itch and hurt for quite a while.

Frequent Contributor

I have mentioned this before but with a bee stiing, make a paste with Adolph's Meat Tenderizer and a little water and put over the stinged area.  Cover with a bandaid and it will help to reduce the swelling and sting.  I learned this from my Dr. 

Honored Contributor

Bees are more aggressive than they used to be.   Some have bred with the more aggressive Africanized bees.   Or maybe you disturbed a new nesting area.   Try to find out why they are "hanging out" on your property.    They may need to be removed.   It's true that a bee will die after stinging.

I've never been stung by a bee but I have been stung several times by wasps and yellow jackets.  It's not fun.

@Katcat1 wrote:

Honored Contributor

Re: My FIRST BEE STING

[ Edited ]

I had a bee string last year...with the stinger & everything.

Stunned how quickly it happened.

It felt like a bolt of electricity.  

A yr later & I can still kinda 'feel' the feeling.  Boof!!

Am I the only one who 'felt' that?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I had a bee string last year...with the stinger & everything.

Stunned how quickly it happened.

It felt like a bolt of electricity.  

A yr later & I can still kinda 'feel' the feeling.  Boof!!

Am I the only one who 'felt' that?

I had that happen to me. I think the bee hit a nerve.Woman Surprised @sidsmom

Respected Contributor

Bees are bad enough, but hornet's are worse as they can sting you multiple times. DH is an entomologist and he told me bee stingers have barbs like fish hooks so they get stuck in you. Hornet's stingers are like little hypodermic needles and can work several times without getting stuck in you. We have hornets here off and on that build nests and must be eradicated.