Honored Contributor

Re: My Experience With Frost Guard

@noodleann wrote:

I think you have to start with a completely dry windshield, otherwise the FrostGuard will freeze to the glass. If you forget or that's impossible, running the car with the de-icer on or the air turned to the windshied for defogging should help loosen it up.

I use a brush or a broom to push heavy snow off before taking off the FrostGuard. Spritzing lock de-icer on the elastics might help them unstick. And if you can think ahead and bring a big garbage bag with you when you go to the car, you can just loosely furl the FrostGuard and put it in there until you can bring it home to dry out over a shower railing, if you don't have a garage or other outside space.

All that said, you're right about big storms, they sort of overwhelm all our nifty hacks. I've found FrostGuard is ideal for the winter chore I hate the most, scraping ice off the windshield.

@noodleann, I did use it on a dry windshield but it still stuck to it. I think I'll save this for times I'm not expecting a lot of snow.

Honored Contributor

@Denise in PA

You can position the guard on your car to snug it tightly so the wind cannot get underneath it to blow about.

I am right across the river from you so I know you had the 30-50 mph winds yesterday.  Prior to snow falling I went out to my car to make sure I set the straps to tight mode. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I think a deicer is your best bet or your windshield solution for 40 below with deicer.  I am undecided about the mat for your windshield.  I think I can clean the windshield off faster than removing the mat.  I bought a brum with a long handle to clean the car off and it removes the snow in a few minutes.

Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@noodleann, I did use it on a dry windshield but it still stuck to it. I think I'll save this for times I'm not expecting a lot of snow.

Well, that's just not what you needed with this kind of a weather event, is it? I'm sorry to hear that. So far, this thing is working for me, but we haven't gotten much snow--and surely not what NYC got. Hopefully this will be the Big One for the season, and the FrostGuard will work better for lighter falls.

Esteemed Contributor

Its funny I see this tonight. I got one for my husband to use b.c he works very early mornings. Does he use it? No. He has never used it in 2 Winters. I just had told him I think I am going to give it to my daughter since she works lots of nights and hates cleaning the car off in the dark. Also I got him one of those long scrapers from Q with the light last year? He finally just used that yesterday. lol. .

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I got my good use of Frost Guard since I purchased one last December.  I think it was a TSV w/free shipping.

I use it every night to keep the frost off my windshield. 

I had no problems w/the side mirror straps freezing either.  Maybe because I tucked them inside the pockets  We've had wind chill temps of 1 degrees in NJ.

Held up well in the snow too.  I brushed off the top layer of snow, flipped the rest off, threw the guard in the back seat & off I went, while everybody else was still cleaning off their cars & windshields.

Furthermore, I have not scrapped ice off my windows in 44 yrs since I discoveredScreen Shot 2017-02-10 at Fri, Feb 10, 2017-7.50.48 PM.png

Prestone Windshield Deicer is one of my all time favorite products! You can also buy it in a gallon jug or pump sprayer which is more economical than the spray cans. It makes clearing the windows a breeze. A spritz or two and the ice just melts away. I've used it for years and have found no ill effects from it. I highly recommend it!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

We only have used ours for frost, not when heavy snow is expected.  If there is a lot of snow, you'd still have to clear it off before removing the Frost Guard.

But, we live on a wooded side road, and there are streams that run behind the houses on each side of the street.  We have frost when nobody else in the county does.  And, it has saved my husband a lot of time in the morning, scraping off the frost.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In this area of the country, almost everyone has garage that holds at least one or two cars. It's awful to be out there brushing heavy snow from the car windows. Frost is easy with that spray de-icer. I always keep a can in the car just in case I'm somewhere for a couple hours and have to scrape when I come back to the car.

I've tried those window covers when I was younger, and it was so much work brushing all the snow off of it...and then trying to lift it off the car and stick it in the trunk. Not a pleasant task. They make it look so easy on tv with only snow flurries on the cover.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

Well, that's just not what you needed with this kind of a weather event, is it? I'm sorry to hear that. So far, this thing is working for me, but we haven't gotten much snow--and surely not what NYC got. Hopefully this will be the Big One for the season, and the FrostGuard will work better for lighter falls.

@noodleann, I am just about done with Winter! Hopefully this storm was the biggie and we will have less. I'm sitting here, the sun is out and I think it's in the 40's. We are suppose to get some rain, so with the melting today and the rain tomorrow, we'll have to worry about flooding!