Honored Contributor

Re: My Experience At The Department Of Motor Vehicles

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Jordan2 I didn't have to have my social security card.  Also, they wouldn't take the original birth certificate, only photo copies from the courthouse.  No bank account statement was needed either. 

Is it different in each state? 

@tends2dogs I don't know if it's different for each state. What documents did they require of you? They were making appointments for next Saturday, the DMV isn't opened on Saturdays, I wonder if they will be now?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The best advice I can give anyone who wants a Real ID is to make an appointment and to check online to know exactly what documentation you need. It's not so bad if you do both of these.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2    Here is our experience.   DH, DD and I all went too to get our Real I.D’s we had appointments.  Go early even  if you have appointment.  our appointments were 3 p.m, and 3.20 p.m. were there until doors closed and left at 5.30 p.m.

Took everything but the kitchen sink.  Birth certificates, marriage lines ss cards, passport, and our permanent residence cards plus two proofs of residence.

First step sign in then ‘go over there to computers’ long line where we then had to complete forms on computer why we were there - nothing referred on computer to Real I.D. so it was chaos as everyone had to keep asking the one person there what bid do we check - took 40 mins to get number which we needed from computer - then backto counter.  Given a green form - sit and wait for number to be called .

My appointment time 3 p.m to counter 4 p.m. 

DH and I renewed our green cards last May and as rules ‘have changed now they mail out cards’ they put a sticker extending it for 1 year May 2020 in case we need to travel out of U.S. but ‘you will receive your new cards within 6 months - so far have not received new cards but.....

I got through all stuff at DMV plus photo and ‘Real I.D. Will be in mail’.

DH was refused his because of sticker on back of permanent residence card also extending to May 2920 as he was told by his clerk then supervisor he needed a form to accompany the extension sticker - cannot remember the number but have it written down.

So there you go I got mine DD got hers DH no.  We all produced same evidence but all went to different counters.

Might add we have both been out of country where these extended sticker green cards that worked perfectly.

Nextt upheaval renewing our Brit/EU passports for Brit only passport when Brexit happens.

DH decided not to bother with Real ID. until our new green cards arrive then he will go again!  Sorry so long did not mean to usurp your post.

Honored Contributor

in maryland it has been very organized and you can schedule an actual appointment online. definitely far from being a nightmare that some seem to have had.

we did not necessarily have to have a SS card.....there were other documents you could provide if you did not have the card. you also did not necessarily have to have a bank account statement.....there were a number of other documents you could provide to show your address.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2   That Garden City DMV is the pits. I haven't been there in years.The last time I was there I waited about 3 hours.

I renewed my license a few months ago at the Medford DMV.I made an appointment online & was out in less than 25 minutes. DH went after me without an appointment & was out in about 40 minutes.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Jordan2 I didn't have to have my social security card.  Also, they wouldn't take the original birth certificate, only photo copies from the courthouse.  No bank account statement was needed either. 

Is it different in each state? 

@tends2dogs I don't know if it's different for each state. What documents did they require of you? They were making appointments for next Saturday, the DMV isn't opened on Saturdays, I wonder if they will be now?

@Jordan2  I had to have my birth certificate (photocopy), marriage license (1st marriage), divorce decree, marriage license (2nd marriage), and my expired driver's license that I was renewing.  That is all.  I did this last June.  We only have one DMV in our county and it is always packed.  I didn't think 90 minutes was bad. Woman Wink

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I did this in late summer. I made an appointment and was there about 15 minutes from start to finish.  The biggest hassle was finding a parking space.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In PA  our state representative hosted a meeting so that people knew what to bring. We took our passports,  proof of address (2), plus our Social Security cards. It was about a 30 minute wait for us. The Real Id's arrived in the mail within a week. We did not need an appointment maybe because it's a rural area.

Esteemed Contributor

If already know you need better documentation, start early.  

I have had a US passport since birth, under several names, and all the usual array of driver's licenses and SSN cards.

What I did not have was a birth certificate.  The state I was born in has moved all old records to the capital and they have to be requested by father's name and mother's maiden name.

Evidently I am illegal and illegitimate, with falsely obtained documentation.  A certain number of siblings may or not be related.   My mother may or not have been adopted by her stepfather or even married to my father.  As for my purported father, he seems to be on the hook for me with a different mother??

If my parents were still alive, I would so give them a hard time.  😂

Start early folks.

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

@Jordan2   That Garden City DMV is the pits. I haven't been there in years.The last time I was there I waited about 3 hours.

I renewed my license a few months ago at the Medford DMV.I made an appointment online & was out in less than 25 minutes. DH went after me without an appointment & was out in about 40 minutes.

@NicksmomESQ there is a DMV I think on Rockaway Turnpike, it may be in Rosdale, I'm not sure. Someone told me the Bethpage office wasn't that bad. As far as appointments go I spoke to someone who knew of someone that had an appointment. It may have gotten her picture taken more quickly, however she still waited a long time before she got called again to process her paperwork.