Honored Contributor

Re: My Experience At The Department Of Motor Vehicles

@Jordan2 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Am I missing something here? I was planning on renewing my drivers license online. I have no plans to go down to the DMV to do this unless something has changed...??

@SilleeMee , come October 2020, you will need a Real ID or Enhanced driver's license if you want to get on a domestic flight. It also allows you into Canada and Mexico, only by land or sea. It also allows entrance into federal or military buildings ( I'm not 100% sure on this). I think if you have a passport you can use it to get on a domestic flight.

@Jordan2 

I don't travel or have any reason to enter military or federal establishments.  All I need a regular license.

Honored Contributor

I went to the DMV in Manhattan in June.  My drivers license expired, and since I hadn't driven a car since 1993, I decided to exchange it for a Non-Driver ID.  Also it only cost $6.50 for ID vs. $80 for drivers license (that I didn't need.) 

I had downloaded and filled out all the forms and had all the docs I thought I'd need. 

I got there around noon-ish. Short line.  I got a number and barely had time to sit down when they called my number.  Went up to the window, told them what I was there for.  He took my license and all the papers I had with me, gave me a form to use as a temporary ID ... took my $6.50.

In and out of the DMV in less than half an hour.  A week later, my new ID came in the mail.  The DMV - for whatever reason - didn't require an updated picture.  The picture on my ID is about 20 years old.  

Honored Contributor

DH went on Friday (27th). Total time it took: 10 minutes. Our DMV has those needing to do this go to a seperate part of the building/room. 

Honored Contributor

Oh my goodness! You need to move to a small town! My DMV is never, ever crowded! I've never seen anyone else there when I go. I shake my head in disbelief when I hear these horror stories of spending an entire day just at the DMV, Wow.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Shepherd wrote:

FYI...........paragraphs help the reader.

====

@Shepherd, not your place to cramp the writing style of the OP. It was an easy post to follow.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

I should have one heck of a time!

Only recently did I begin to worry because my original birth certificate has an anglicized version of my first name and not the name with which I have entered schools and universities throughout this nation, gotten a passport and married twice.  (The final vowel is different.)

No one questioned anything, ever.

I don't think I'll be able to prove who I am even though I've lived in my skin for multiple decades.

My SIL is worried for a similar reason -- the name on her birth certificate is not the name by which she goes (she goes by her middle name), and many of her supporting documents have the "wrong" name on them. In addition, I'm not sure she changed some things to her married name. It's a bit of a mess. Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2I had the same crappy experience at our DMV also.  I spent a total of 4 hours there to obtain my Enhanced drivers license.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Auntg: Who made you the judge & moderator of this forum?

It's my opinion and yes, it is very difficult to read one huge, long paragraph. Do you remember your English class? 

Besides, others agreed with me. 

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The best advice I can give anyone who wants a Real ID is to make an appointment and to check online to know exactly what documentation you need. It's not so bad if you do both of these.

So true @suzyQ3 .

I went to renew and get my Real ID in early December.

I went on line and learned what I needed to bring  Double checked that info and made an appointment. Filled out the application on line and submitted it. 

I was in and out in 15 minutes. Easiest renewal I have ever done.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Oh my goodness! You need to move to a small town! My DMV is never, ever crowded! I've never seen anyone else there when I go. I shake my head in disbelief when I hear these horror stories of spending an entire day just at the DMV, Wow.

@ID2  I do live in a small town. We don’t have a DMV for each town. We have one for the whole county.