Respected Contributor

Re: My Experience At The Department Of Motor Vehicles

Reading about the different experiences from across the country has been interesting.  

When it was time to renew my license, I first went to my state’s BMV website to learn the documentation I would need.  I took all that and, for precaution because most all our pertinent accounts were opened in my DH’s name, a few extra pieces of mail to verify my address.  

I live in Ohio.  At least in my county, appointments are not made, it’s first come – first served by ticket number.  There is a sign posted that says if you leave the building (there is an ice cream shop next door), you lose your place in line.

The office was full to capacity when I arrived, so I thought I was “in for it.”  However, after passing the time in pleasant conversation with a bench-mate also waiting, I was in and out within an hour.   The new and improved license arrived via postal mail a few days later.
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@Shepherd  I did not have a problem reading the information.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 I am so lucky.  In my state, AAA is authorized to issue driver's licenses.  No wait, very easy.  They charge a minor fee.  i can't even remember how much.  However, I had to get more info and go back vis-a-vie identification.  They are quite helpful

Honored Contributor

We did ours back in Sept of this yr. Forewarned is forearmed we're always ahead of the pack.

Trusted Contributor

Complaining about the DMV is a great American pastime.  Unless you needed 4 to play gin rummy while waiting, I don't see the point of taking so many people with you to share in the suffering we all endure at the hands of out taxpayer-supported "services."

Honored Contributor

I did what others did, which was to take extra stuff with me just in case.  Good thing I did because the first desk took my deed as proof of Virginia residency, but at the desk, she would not take it.  She didn't understand what it was (clearly something not covered in their training even though it's listed as an item you can use to prove residency).

So I had a bunch of different pieces of mail, I had stopped ebill for my gas bill and had an original to take with me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.  In my state, you can schedule an appointment on line.  I felt sorry for those who were not aware of that. For me, there were 4 or 5 people ahead of me. The other line seemed to go on forever.

Honored Contributor

Virginia does not offer appointments for anything other than road tests and CDL

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

My NYS DMV is one of the worst and I'm dreading going to get this done.

I have learned not to go early. 10:30 AM is about the best time to go because they are finally winding down from the crush of people that showed up when the doors open. It makes it a little less annoying. Unfortunately most of the people working in mine are just not nice. The only place in the world that you can work with the public and it's fine to be rude and yell at the customer.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

My NYS DMV is one of the worst and I'm dreading going to get this done.

I have learned not to go early. 10:30 AM is about the best time to go because they are finally winding down from the crush of people that showed up when the doors open. It makes it a little less annoying. Unfortunately most of the people working in mine are just not nice. The only place in the world that you can work with the public and it's fine to be rude and yell at the customer.

We have a post office like this.  They openly mock and feign ignorance with people who do not speak English very well.

I've reported it several times.  All the way to the PM General and nothing changes.  They are offensive beyond belief.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN