Honored Contributor

Re: My Electric Bill - Surprise

I don't have a water bill, so, that saves. Gas is reasonable. Electric,eats us up.  (water well why we don't have a bill) Like everything it's 6 of one , half doz. of the other. We don't pay State income tax, but, property tax is a horror. LOL  Property tax gets frozen at 65. No more paying for the schools! Yay !

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@BlingQueen022

LOL, Hooterville, not quite, but we do live in the country.  We are about 30 miles NE of downtown Pittsburgh.

Our home, along with appliances are energy efficient. I am sure if we had a larger house our bills would be higher.  I have had higher bills in previous years, so perhaps our rates have dropped.

We could be neighbors Smiley Tongue 

I have Penn Power, mine is around $100 in the summer with the AC running. It's usually around $60... cheaper than my water bill.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE wrote:

I don't have a water bill, so, that saves. Gas is reasonable. Electric,eats us up.  (water well why we don't have a bill) Like everything it's 6 of one , half doz. of the other. We don't pay State income tax, but, property tax is a horror. LOL  Property tax gets frozen at 65. No more paying for the schools! Yay !

How wonderful, no school property taxes after 65.  We have property tax for the school district, the township and the county.  Then there is also a head tax everyone pays to the school district and the township.  

We do have state income tax, but not on pensions.  Amazing though since an old nickname for our state is "The land of taxes."  Sometimes I think if PA could tax the air we breathe they would.

Honored Contributor

It's awful hun, School tax is 90% of your property tax bill and we're childless anyway. No increases for us !

Respected Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

We could be neighbors

I have Penn Power, mine is around $100 in the summer with the AC running. It's usually around $60... cheaper than my water bill.

Hi @nun ya

Yes, almost neighbors, think we probably live about 45 minutes away from each other.  You are probably further north of Pittsburgh then I am.

We have West Penn Power (under the umbrella of First Energy).  We don't have public water available, we are on well water.  Public sewage is available, but because we are so far from the tap in point we were not mandated to hook up.  Peoples Natural Gas is our gas provider.   So basically we only have two utility bills, electric and gas.

We do have Comcast cable for our phone, tv and internet.  Until two years ago that wasn't available, then the company decided to install the lines up our country road.