Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Electric Bill - Surprise

Lucky you!  My electric bill isn't that low even in the winter.  Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

ComEd installed a new meter outside last year.  It's electronic.   No more meter readers in our area 

Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

ComEd installed a new meter outside last year.  It's electronic.   No more meter readers in our area 

We got a new meter a few years ago because the readings were all off so they contacted us about it and installed a new meter. But it still has to be read.

However, the meter reader told me that they can read meters from a yard or 2 over. They just point some gizmo at it and can get the reading.  They don't need to come into every yard which is helpful if you have a dog or a fence. 

Trusted Contributor

I run my air almost 365 days a year and just replaced my central a/c last year.

The bills have been around $20 or more less per month than they were last year because the new unit is more efficient.

I love a nice, cool house!

Valued Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I just got our electric bill (actual meter reading) yesterday and I was really surprised that it was only $88.

With the extreme heat and our AC  running almost non stop, I thought it was going to be double that.  I am almost wondering if it was misread.

The 14 day extended weather forecast says we (SWPA) are in for more of the same, yuk.  I have been avoiding going outside as much as possible, but am going to have to bite the bullet soon as gardens are getting overun with weeds.

I'll trade you. Mine was $307.  Woman Sad

Esteemed Contributor

I just looked--$112 from SO CAL EDISON.  If we want to let them shut the ac of wh en they need the electricity we get a percentage off. I can usually stand it for a couple of hours. It has been maybe 5 times this year especially when it has been over 100.  It was nice when dh was alive for the employees also got a discount but not the widows. It is 94 today.

Honored Contributor

I live alone and have energy-saver everything in my house. I run the ac only six hours a day and that is the biggest draw on my electric bill. If it weren't for that my electric bill is around $30 a month.  Last month I paid $70 for electric because of this hot weather. 

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee I know what you are saying.  

This month (the actual reading) would have included any "catch up" costs from the last estimated reading.  Or at least that is how they have done it for the past 25 years.

I was also surprised, I saw the reader here on Monday and I had the ebill Tuesday.

We have one of the new smart meters. They installed it when our old original meter died.  Like LipstickDiva mentioned, its pretty cool, they can read it from a distance.  

On Monday, the reader actually came up to the meter.  I don't think he realized I had one of the new meters because all my neighbors have the old dial ones.

When we built the house, we had all gas appliances installed, seems in our area using natural gas appliances were less expensive to operate then electric.   I did replace my dryer with an electric one about 10 years ago, and I am hoping it dies soon so I can go back to gas.

Honored Contributor

An air conditioner or heat pump could run nonstop to cool your house, and not shoot the electric bill sky high, because there is no heating element involved.   Our furnaces, water heaters, ovens and clothes dryers pull the most electricity.   

My monthly bill in the summer is running about $115 which is great, considering we have 3 refrigerators, a freezer, 4 TV's, wash an average of 15+ loads of clothes a week, dry the majority of our clothes, I use the oven almost every day, we're using central air, and the lights rarely go out before 1:00 a.m.   My budget amount is $200 a month, so I have a sizeable credit on my bill that would cover the highest bill we might incur during the coming winter.    

I have no complaints about my electric bills.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

I just got our electric bill (actual meter reading) yesterday and I was really surprised that it was only $88.

With the extreme heat and our AC  running almost non stop, I thought it was going to be double that.  I am almost wondering if it was misread.

The 14 day extended weather forecast says we (SWPA) are in for more of the same, yuk.  I have been avoiding going outside as much as possible, but am going to have to bite the bullet soon as gardens are getting overun with weeds.

Where do you live in Hooterville?