Respected Contributor

She gives me the signal when she needs to go out and reminds me when it's time to eat. Lately, though, she just sits in front of me and stares. A couple of times I've motioned to her to get near the couch so that I can scoop her up and have her join me. A few times she's jumped off as soon as she's up.

We communicate well after lots of trial and error, so I'm stumped.

What is she trying to tell me?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: My Dog Just Stares at Me

That's what dogs do.Smile If this is out of the norm for your dog, is it doing anything else abnormal? In my home, it is usually about food and love, but animals can stare if there is something wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

Most dogs, all animals for that matter, are extremely observant of their surroundings. They pick up on the smallest of patterns.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Is she old and how is her eyesight?

Honored Contributor

I've noticed this with may cats and dogs when they get older. I always thought it had to do with some bit of eyesight loss, as well as dementia. If this is unusual, perhaps a visit to the vet if it doesn't go away soon.

Trusted Contributor

Sometimes dementia can present that way, in older animals. Also, sometimes they can be feeling some pain.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

My dog stares when he wants to go for a walk or when he has important business outside.

(Or if I'm eating, of course. I make him go away then.)

Trusted Contributor

Daylight savings time always confuses dogs, they know the hour difference! They stare for a reason, trying to tell you something. Hey, it's an hour after my dinner lol...

Super Contributor

My sweet old Lab would do that. If I stared back, she'd turn her head as if embarrassed. I think she was looking for a signal---"Is she getting up? Going to the kitchen? Going outside? Or should I just plop down and take a snooze?"

Dogs can take direct eye contact as a sign of aggression, so it's best not to stare at a strange dog.

Honored Contributor

She's reading your mind and can't believe what you are thinking ....... LOL