Frequent Contributor

Re: My Dance Class last night

On 8/19/2014 Rununculus said:

Congrats on taking dance. It's not easy as an adult, but I bet you'll love it and not only have fun in the class, but also feel better outside.

I took a tap class for the first time in 25+ years last year, and was SO glad I did. It really made me smile. And the ladies in class were delightful, all ages.

My line dance teacher may be starting up an adult tap class - if there is enough interest - I am definitely in although I've never ever taken a tap class in my life but would LOVE to learn how!!

Super Contributor

On 8/20/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:
On 8/20/2014 misspammie said:

bit OT, but, KittyL,,just noticed your ciggy,,,did you see the movie? sorry for the interruption

HI misspammie,

No, I haven't seen it yet but I'm going to.

Have you?

Kitty, Yes, I saw it and absolutely loved it. (sorry, should have typed siggy,,,typing is getting worse, grrr) You'll be glad you go to see it!

Super Contributor

Love tap. Reading about the ladies enjoying the tap classes makes me smile. Out of 15 years dance, the several tap solos my daughter did are my fondest memories of those 15 years out of a whole lotta other numbers, costumes, dance shoes, etc. After she did her first tap solo . . . it was amazing the next years more and more tap solos were in the week long recital (all day rehearsals and 5 nightly shows all different). Before . . . everyone was doing jazz or an acro or ballet or something . . . but still only a few could pull off a tap solo. I know for sure I couldn't do it. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Honored Contributor

On 8/20/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Love tap. Reading about the ladies enjoying the tap classes makes me smile. Out of 15 years dance, the several tap solos my daughter did are my fondest memories of those 15 years out of a whole lotta other numbers, costumes, dance shoes, etc. After she did her first tap solo . . . it was amazing the next years more and more tap solos were in the week long recital (all day rehearsals and 5 nightly shows all different). Before . . . everyone was doing jazz or an acro or ballet or something . . . but still only a few could pull off a tap solo. I know for sure I couldn't do it. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

There is a fabulous girl tapper on So You Think You Can Dance - she did a hip hop routine with Twitch last nite. She's a terrific performer and very versatile.

One of my favorite moments on this show was when Nigel Lithgow did a tap routine a few seasons ago. He was wonderful!!!

Honored Contributor

Last night was a disaster.

Not at the barre, but on the road. We had a HUGE storm move in just as I was leaving my office. I had to stop at home to change clothes and although I gave myself plenty of time to get to class (or so I hoped), traffic was at a standstill. A transformer had been hit by lightning and all the power was out (32,000 people affected). Took me 20 minutes to move what usually takes 2 minutes.

Class would have been at least half over by the time I got there, if not over altogether.

So I went home and put my pink shoes and tights away. {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Super Contributor

Sorry to hear you missed your class last night. Hopefully all the storms have passed through your area and no serious damage or injuries resulted.

I'll have to look up what channel shows SYTYCD here and set it up to record on my DVR.

A couple of the solo's my daughter did were, her first one Disney's Mambo #5, Mr. Pin Stripe Suit by Big Bad VooDoo Daddy . . . nice jazzy number too . . . and Jailhouse Rock . . . the day the notebooks were available to pick "specialty number" costumes out of was always a hectic day and that year just so happened there was a pair of black jazz/tap pants and the long sleeve top was black & white striped . . . perfect width of stripes too . . . horizontal too . . . I can't begin to tell you how many times I watched the YouTube video of Elvis with his Jailhouse Rock to make sure the teacher was getting the choreography just right at the right moments with tap . . . to make it feel "just right" to the original.

Honored Contributor

On 8/21/2014 Qwackertoo said:

Sorry to hear you missed your class last night. Hopefully all the storms have passed through your area and no serious damage or injuries resulted.

I'll have to look up what channel shows SYTYCD here and set it up to record on my DVR.

A couple of the solo's my daughter did were, her first one Disney's Mambo #5, Mr. Pin Stripe Suit by Big Bad VooDoo Daddy . . . nice jazzy number too . . . and Jailhouse Rock . . . the day the notebooks were available to pick "specialty number" costumes out of was always a hectic day and that year just so happened there was a pair of black jazz/tap pants and the long sleeve top was black & white striped . . . perfect width of stripes too . . . horizontal too . . . I can't begin to tell you how many times I watched the YouTube video of Elvis with his Jailhouse Rock to make sure the teacher was getting the choreography just right at the right moments with tap . . . to make it feel "just right" to the original.

I love this! I bet you had so much fun. And your daughter, too!

Love the tunes she chose, but I also love tap without any music at all, just the sounds of the taps. It's such a great art form.

Valued Contributor

FUN!!!!!
Honored Contributor

My new hoop is arriving today or tomorrow, too! I'm excited to get it. It's lighter and smaller than the dance hoops I already have which means it will have a quicker action.

I can't wait to try it!

Honored Contributor

On 8/21/2014 KittyLouWhoToo said:

My new hoop is arriving today or tomorrow, too! I'm excited to get it. It's lighter and smaller than the dance hoops I already have which means it will have a quicker action.

I can't wait to try it!

Oooh have fun!

(I kept trying to reply to your 2 threads but they were gone before I could hit submit. Grrrr.)

Do you have dance tonight?