Honored Contributor

My DSL is always going out. Anyone else here with the same problem?

My DSL is always going out. It’s such a pain. I’ve the option to switch* but this post isn’t about other options. I just want to know who else is having the same problem?

DSL here goes out more frequently when we get a cold front. It uses copper which contracts in cold. The provider will not be fixing or upgrading any of it’s copper. They want all customers to migrate to their fiber optic system.

*I’ve already investigated other types of service but I don’t want to switch right now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: My DSL is always going out. Anyone else here with the same problem?

@Mindy D

Ours goes out a lot too.  Our city won't allow the fiber optic system unless it's all placed underground.  The phone company refuses to do that so we don't have any other options.  It's frustrating. 

Respected Contributor

I switched to my TV cable company , Xfinity/Comcast after years of DSL with the land line phone. Now eliminating the land line and going all mobile for phones. The big hope is no more or at least way fewer annoying solicitation phone calls.

Valued Contributor

@StylishLady, I don't like giving anyone bad news - but here goes! We gave up our landline several years ago, but, sadly, scammers have managed to find us on our mobile phones. I don't answer any calls from unrecognized numbers. It's unbelievable phone carriers and the government don't do more to crackdown and stop these unwanted calls.

In this day and age I truly don't understand why utility wires aren't all buried underground. It may initially be more expensive, but I would think in the long run we wouldn't lose power, cable, phone service, etc. anywhere near as frequently in storms thus costing less money to send out crews to restore power. In addition, all of those poles and wires are unsightly. But, alas, I don't rule the world.
Respected Contributor

Mine goes out every 2 or 3 days. It is so annoying. And most of the time all the modem lights are properly lit too.  Very seldom is the internet connection light actualIy out.

I have to turn the modem off so LTE will activate.  After a while, I turn it back on and it works fine again.  Until the next time. There is always a next time.

Honored Contributor

upgraded to X1 xfinity services for cable, tv, and telephone. extremely happy with the performance. i also made sure to get a stronger modem AND a wifi extender in another area of the house.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
In this day and age I truly don't understand why utility wires aren't all buried underground. It may initially be more expensive, but I would think in the long run we wouldn't lose power, cable, phone service, etc. anywhere near as frequently in storms thus costing less money to send out crews to restore power. In addition, all of those poles and wires are unsightly. But, alas, I don't rule the world.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2  I think utilities are often put underground in new developments - at least that's the way it is around here.  But, as you said, the cost to bury existing overhead lines is prohibitive.  I suppose utilities would want to pass on the cost to rate payers, so we'd pay for it one way or the other.

I've read it's actually easier, faster, and less expensive for utilities to repair overhead lines vs. buried lines, so they may have a vested interest in the status quo.

Honored Contributor

We have DSL....we replaced the modem with a newer one and now everything works great.  Our modem was about 12 years old....have you tried replaceing your older modem( if it is old...)

Honored Contributor

I had DSL on my Verizon landline and had Verizon out last week to see why my DSL was always up and down.  He said there's an issue in the wall with the landline and I would need to have an electrician come in and open the wall and rewire it.

Since I have Comcast for cable, I was able to switch to their internet and use the self install kit.  The Comcast internet service has not been very stable so far.

I might have to move to Fios if this continues.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

The Verizon technician also told me to get my own modem/router because they one they sent me was not good.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN