Honored Contributor

Re: My DSL is always going out. Anyone else here with the same problem?

@SeaMaiden wrote:

We have DSL....we replaced the modem with a newer one and now everything works great.  Our modem was about 12 years old....have you tried replaceing your older modem( if it is old...)

All equipment is new in our house. It’s not a modem, landline phone, filters, router or anythibg inside. Our problem stems from the outside line hub for all users in our area. Many here in this thread have described problems which are coming from inside problems. Our hub uses copper and the wiring is old and will not be replaced as it wears out according to the provider. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I had DSL on my Verizon landline and had Verizon out last week to see why my DSL was always up and down.  He said there's an issue in the wall with the landline and I would need to have an electrician come in and open the wall and rewire it.

Since I have Comcast for cable, I was able to switch to their internet and use the self install kit.  The Comcast internet service has not been very stable so far.

I might have to move to Fios if this continues.

I’ve had service checks inside and none of the problems were indoors. Every single time it has turned out to be an outage in my area. It takes days for the outages to get fixed. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D .....   I had Verizon's DSL at my office from 2002 to 2009.   It was always extremely slow.  I had Comcast X-Finity at my home for many, many years.  When I moved my office to a different location, I could no longer get Verizon's DSL so I had to switch to Comcast X-Finity.   In my town only Comcast and in some sections, Verizon DSL,  available.  I always had problems with Comcast... especially with my office email.  After having problems with my office service for over a year .. and Comcast not doing a thing about it...I was finally able to switch to Verizon Fios both at home and the office.   After I dropped Comcast all of a sudden I was inundated with phone calls asking what they could do to get me back.  I politely told them they had over a year to do something but chose not to.  So now I was done with Comcast.   I couldn't be happier with my Verizon Fios.  

Honored Contributor

You might want to check and see if you can get a fiber optic connection in your area. FO offers faster speeds and it is more reliable than DSL. It will come with a higher price tag, however.

Honored Contributor

Verizon has been hounding me to get rid of my traditional landline.  I was surprised they agreed to send someone to my house, but I do pay for the insurance for that, so they couldnt deny my request.

My hesitation with Fios is mainly because we have a neighborhood Nextdoor and Facebook page and people are constantly complaining about Fios being down.

I'm been in my house for 25 years and have had Comcast basic cable for all of it and I can count on one hand the number of times my cable has been out, with fingers left over.  And it's never been more than a few hours.

So I'm a little disappointed in the instability of the Comcast internet.

I work from home a lot and I am on conference calls all day and you can definitely hear the phone quality difference with cell phones and internet phones.  The feedback is just awful some days.

So I am keeping my traditional landline until it dies.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN