Valued Contributor

Re: My DH Fell Asleep During FB Church This Morning!

I think at least 90% of QVC is really boring now.
Valued Contributor

Since the pandemic, that is.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@Kachina624. I said "with" not "watching." That includes being here on the board.

@Pearlee    I guess I have the boards while you constantly lap up celebrity gossip and advertise for a certain clothing store ad nauseum.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

PA mom - We listen to Sunday service at the island kitchen while prepping food for next meals. It doesn't hold our attention to sit and watch the screen so we keep busy doing something. However, hubs keeps walking out of the room. Today I looked out the window and saw him on the patio. Made me laugh.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom  We've been watching our church on TV.  It's live on facebook but DH figured out a way to watch it on our TV.  I've been sitting in my recliner and he's been on the couch petting our Golden!  We have still been in our PJ's.  But as much as we enjoy our Pastor's preaching, we both miss our church very much.  I hope it's not too long before we can go again.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom One of the biggest surprises about the Church closing, for me, is how much I miss Mass.

I really did not understand how very much it meant to me until it was taken away (temporarily).

I love getting dressed up a little nicer and the feel of awe and reverence upon entering my church. 

I miss seeing the parishioners and being a part of communal worship.

This is one of the hardest sacrifices of COVID-19 for me.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

I grew up in a fairly rural Mennonite community, and used to watch the farmers fall asleep in church every Sunday morning. I, for one, love not having to get dressed up for church;  but, the sofa can be awfully comfortable sometimes. Frankly, except for the lack of congregational singing, I'm feeling ok with this for now. I miss the feeling of community, however.

UPDATED!: This seems to have been turned into a forum to criticise QVC and refute  those criticisms. It was meant to be a lighthearted post about how we are coping with our church services during social distancing. So sorry I started it. Smiley Sad

@PA Mom-mom, ah, don't be sorry. It looks as if it has gotten back on track. And given that I am a non-believer, I thought that your post was cute. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

We watched from our recliners with my Kindle Fire on the table between us. I found myself looking out the window. Maybe that explains why churches have stained glass windows - you can't see out. That brought up another memory of my brother's teachers telling my mom at conferences that he would like to stare outside instead of paying attention. 

Super Contributor

Working at home puts me to sleep. Strange.

Honored Contributor

Agreed, @PA Mom-mom --  it's a real deprivation not to see other members in person.  The video thing cannot compensate for that!

We got lucky a few years ago with starting at this particular church-- the pastor is riveting, with sermons that are learned, informed by his puckish humor, richly allusive and intellectually challenging.  Have not had that particular combination in the past-- I told him once that listening to him is like getting 3 or 4 sermons in one.  BUT--  seeing him preach now on Facebook is a different, slightly "muting" experience. 

It's fascinating, what the camera does-- in this case, it seems to somewhat rob it of its immediacy.   I can well see that watching even a good filmed service is quite a different kettle of fish to a good live one.

Still very grateful we have this though!