Honored Contributor

Re: My Company's personal holiday gift...Get Ready

Laura

at least you are chuckling about this fiasco xmas gift.

It will bring many memories years from now and you will always remember the year of the used regifting items .

Honored Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Who remembers the story about Oprah and gifts? One year she gave cars to every single member of her audience. And, do you know what. Many of them griped because they had to pay gift taxes on the cars. It was a big dust up. I don't believe she had ever given out anything substantial since.

I could see why this would create a problem for some people.  Imagine if you are a low income individual and someone gives you a $30,000 gift.  You now owe taxes on an extra $30,000 that you have no way of paying.

in addition, you might lose tax credits on the income you earned.  It could end up,costing someone more than they can afford to pay.

Also, some folks do not drive, have no place to,park a car or can’t afford gas, insurance or other upkeep.

The “Price is Right” gives out millions in prizes each year, and a lot of it is forfeited because the person who won it can not afford the taxes.  

If I won or as gifted a new car, I would take it and sell it.  I’d use some of that money to pay taxes and bank the rest.  I don’t want or need a new car or the expense of one.

Sometimes you can’t afford to except an expensive gift.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@CarmieI believe you have just made my point. I recall the adage my elderly great Grandmother used to tell me, "No good deed goes unpunished"  I had no clue as to what she was referring to, however, now I know clearly. At times, the best course of action is to do nothing it appears.

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

UPDATE

So I walk in this morning and I have a card AND gift card from the manager whose location I work out of.  I received a thank you note and a Visa gift card fresh off the register line.  LOL

Some people know how to do it right when you're gonna do it.    And no I didn't mention the other gift at all to anyone nor did I ever expect this one since this manager is kind of new.   

The other gift is still in quarantine at the house. Smiley Very Happy

@Laura14, PLEASE do not ever stop posting here!!  I love your posts, and we have the same, sick sense of humor!  Your GH posts are priceless and I look forward to reading them daily!!

Merry Christmas, girlie!!  May patient #6 slide down your chimney on Christmas Eve!!!Heart

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal  Awwww!  Back at ya!  Smiley Tongue  But you keep the Borg.  Sonny better be all dirty from his slide so I can give him a proper sponge bath.  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am rolling on the floor now because I am going to have PTSD by the time this holiday is over.  

I come back from lunch and there is another envelope on my desk.  Inside is an unmarked gift card (oh please no) and a card signed "Bryan". 

The only Bryan I ever knew was an ex-boyfriend who left me after our first couple of dates to go back to his stripper ex-girlfriend.  I am not kidding.

It finally dawns on me that there is a manager named Bryan in corporate.  I asked one of my co workers in a different part of the state if she got a card too.  She did so I am guessing this is who it is.  

With bated breath and a hand over my eyes, I go to Starbucks and look up the card number for the balance.  $10.  We have a real card!

Unfortunately I don't drink coffee so my family is going to fight over a $14.11 nasty Panera card or a $10 clean Starbucks one.  

I don't know what is going on with this company.  They've been here 3 plus years and they never noticed me.  Now I am swimming in gift cards.  I also know who got raises this year.  I already knew it wasn't me.  Smiley Happy 

Or maybe this is what happens when you tell off a coworker in front of the entire management team and become the talk of the company for a bit.  Smiley LOL  

Another thank you sent!

Trusted Contributor

@Leeny Lenny, I totally agree with you.  Your post reminds me of something I experinced one day as I was leaving work. I had worked a 13 hour shift got on the elevator to go home. When I got on the elevator, there was a lady already on the elevastor. I had my personal belongings in my hand, purse coat etc. She stated " you must be going home ". I saud yes Mama , I am ready, I am tired. She waited a moment and then said to me " Be thankful you have a job, mine went to Mexico" I felt so small in that moment. I have to say, no matter how bad things got at work after that, I gave thanks that I had a job, that put a roof over my head and provided for my family !