Honored Contributor

Re: My Company's personal holiday gift...Get Ready

@newagain888888 wrote:

Wouldn’t it be great if some of those gift cards your company handed out could be donated to an angel tree? So many times the request is for something small and they would be perfect for that. It would be a happly ending to a bittersweet situation.

@newagain888888  I had a customer come in who I know is a teacher this morning and I asked her if she would give the two good cards to two of her students who might need some extra meals.  I'm sure she'll reward them in some way so it's not done in a bad way.  

I wiped them down as best I could and told her we found them in an old desk but I had verified the balances were on there.  She was happy to do the good deed and two kids will have some fun during Christmas break.  

Honored Contributor

@ID2I don’t think the OP sounds ungrateful at all.  If the used and dirty gift cards  she received were from a child or someone who didn’t have much, it would be a gift from the heart and I am sure they would be appreciated.

it looks like she was given dirty gift cards  to send a message of some sort to me.  Why would anyone who could afford to do better give her something like that? Even someone with little means would have made sure the cards were at least clean.

A card with a thoughtful message would have been an upgrade and approperiate.   The nasty gift cards she received were an insult and done on purpose.  

Regular Contributor

Granted it sounds like a bizarre gift.

The fact the company permits employees to post on chat boards or surf the net at work is generous of them. 

Not all employers offer that privilege. So that's a bonus.

The soiled gift and misspelled name sound like game playing since there's bad blood and I gather it's known the OP is planning to leave.

Honored Contributor

You're leaving soon so, I wouldn't think twice about it.  If they're nasty, pitch 'em.

Honored Contributor

@OceanDreamer wrote:

The fact the company permits employees to post on chat boards or surf the net at work is generous of them. 

The soiled gift and misspelled name sound like game playing since there's bad blood and I gather it's known the OP is planning to leave.

@OceanDreamer  Not known at all although a smart manager would see I am unhappy. 

And there is no game to play since I have no communication with this woman which I should.  Quite often actually since I can tell her exactly what the customers are saying and what the feel of the places I manage are every day of the week.     

When the local staff has no idea who you even are, bad manager.  Bad, bad manager.  How can you manage what you never see or communicate with?  More importantly, just what are you managing?

At least my work is being done and completed every day without her help or support AND I'm entertaining all of you.  You're welcome!      Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I've rarely received a gift from my employer at Christmas.  One year we received a 2lb box of See's chocolates (boy did my famiy appreciate and enjoy it!).  Another Christmas we each got a frozen Turkey running around 20lb (again, we really appreciated and enjoyed it)....

....but I've never received a gift where I'd have to spray Lysol on it before using it!.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@OceanDreamer wrote:

@OceanDreamer  Not known at all although a smart manager would see I am unhappy. 

And there is no game to play since I have no communication with this woman which I should.  Quite often actually since I can tell her exactly what the customers are saying and what the feel of the places I manage are every day of the week.     

When the local staff has no idea who you even are, bad manager.  Bad, bad manager.  How can you manage what you never see or communicate with?  More importantly, just what are you managing?

At least my work is being done and completed every day without her help or support AND I'm entertaining all of you.  You're welcome!      Smiley Very Happy

Thought this indicated she knew you'd be leaving:

"Personally, I think she was just checking to make sure I hadn't turned in my notice yet."

Sounds like a lousy environment. Hope the new one works out to be an improvement.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@OceanDreamer  Got you!  It does sound that way.  I've kept it under wraps since I am this close to being licensed but not yet.  Have just a couple months and then I should leave right before the busy season.    

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I wish I could hand these cards off to someone who will use them.  I guess the kids will make use of them since I can't give them out here.  And I would.

I do appreciate her thought and told her so and this post is obviously tongue in cheek.  

I guess it's what you finally get when you put them all in their place a few weeks back and demand some respect after she and a few others in her department tried to make me look bad to cover their own butts.   

This is the first time in 3 years they even thought of me at holiday time and one of the few times they acknowledge I even exist.  They are losing another support person at the end of the year so maybe it's dawning on them to be nice to the people that actually run the place or we'll all be waving goodbye.     

You're a legend in your own mind, lol.  BTW, I think Panera deducted a service fee on the unused card. Some do that when a gift card was purchased and not used after a certain period of time. Carrying fee to keep it valid.

Regular Contributor

@Laura14 Curious how you know you were singled out to receive this gift?

Could be others got the same thing and there wasn't a hidden message.