Trusted Contributor

Re: My Company's personal holiday gift...Get Ready

@Laura14 wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Wow, I'm retired and haven't worked in a while but how ungrateful the OP sounds to me! At least you were remembered! But it sounds like the OP has already soured on working where she is so even if she was handed a car she probably would still say its was the wrong color. Woman Sad

@ID2  Unless it's my purple custom Ferrari with one year of insurance AND they pay all the taxes on it, gift tax and otherwise, you are absolutely right.  I am that horrible of a person. 

Really people?  Smiley Wink

@Laura14  I get your kind of humor and enjoy your posts. Much more fun to read than some  🙂

Super Contributor

OK . . .I read this entire thread before writing this post. When I was a teen, I worked at a family owned drug store. The first Christmas or two we were given a small, but, I thought, nice gift. Apparently, I was in the minority. The next year everyone received a letter - a letter mind you, not even a card - that wished us Holiday Greetings and proceeded to inform us that, since no on liked or appreciated previous Christmas gifts all we would receive was this letter. Merry Christmas. I think our jaws are still on the floor of that drugstore to this day!!

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Laura14@  Pay no attention, it was @wheatchick, who was scolded a bit ago.  Some people never have anything nice to say

@cherry  You are so sweet.  Heart 

I usually don't and it bothers me zilch.  Way too secure in myself and happy with what I've accomplished this year.  I only hope others find their smile too without stepping on others to get it.  I usually find that never works anyway.  Smiley Happy  <--- Still here!       

Honored Contributor

@q-girl wrote:

OK . . .I read this entire thread before writing this post. When I was a teen, I worked at a family owned drug store. The first Christmas or two we were given a small, but, I thought, nice gift. Apparently, I was in the minority. The next year everyone received a letter - a letter mind you, not even a card - that wished us Holiday Greetings and proceeded to inform us that, since no on liked or appreciated previous Christmas gifts all we would receive was this letter. Merry Christmas. I think our jaws are still on the floor of that drugstore to this day!!

@q-girl  Wow!  I feel so sorry for them and you. How horrible they felt unappreciated but bad manners to slap everyone's faces and not just the ones who had no manners.  

Honored Contributor

For the years I worked for a major medical center.  The employees who were “non-exempt” were paid twice a month.  

Those of us who were “exempt” received our paycheck promptly on the 25th of each month.  Except in December, then our checks were whizzed right out on the 24th.

*** please, no one tell me that one needs to save one’s money and plan ahead I already know that.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

For the years I worked for a major medical center.  The employees who were “non-exempt” were paid twice a month.  

Those of us who were “exempt” received our paycheck promptly on the 25th of each month.  Except in December, then our checks were whizzed right out on the 24th.

*** please, no one tell me that one needs to save one’s money and plan ahead I already know that.

@Drythe  I have never heard of that.  How odd.  I was exempt my whole career until these new people showed up and made my non-exempt.  Fine by me.  I got a huge raise since now they pay me OT.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Over the years, I worked at  a variety of places. The only time I ever received Christmas gifts was when I taught school. I didn't receive many, and they were very inexpensive (my students were mostly poor), but I appreciated that they thought of me.

Respected Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

At least you received something.  I GET ZIPPO, NOTHING, NADDA !!!

I used to but they stopped it 6 yrs ago.  So much for appreciation right ?

Have yourself a GREAT CHRISTMAS though.  Family, health, is all we really need right ?  But a big old BONUS would be awesome.

Same 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not get any gifts from my work during the holiday's. We do potlucks instead, which I don't go to. (not my thing) There are too many employees to give out gifts. They did years back, gave a $50 gift card to higher paid employees. (I think it was unfair. It takes all of us to run the entire place, or it doesn't run well)

I am thankful I have a job. (and a roof over my head and food to eat) ...of course my family, friends and my dog.Smiley Happy

I give the manager (who gave the gift cards) extra praise, because she was sick and could have just stayed home.(or maybe it was the only time she could get there) I think the 3 cards totalled around $35, and I would be ecstatic. (and would have used them myself)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Wouldn’t it be great if some of those gift cards your company handed out could be donated to an angel tree? So many times the request is for something small and they would be perfect for that. It would be a happly ending to a bittersweet situation.