Honored Contributor

Re: My Company's personal holiday gift...Get Ready

@DrKelli  You are very lucky and deserving.  Enjoy!

@ROMARY  LOL!  I should have gotten the bleach out.

Occasional Contributor

My husbands company did turkey certificates at the grocery store. okay whatever, then in his next pay check twenty dollars had been deducted ,he ended up paying for his own stupid turkey!

Honored Contributor

@BExplorer wrote:

I'm sure this will be a very unpopular post, but I am going to offer another perspective.  I am the director of a government agency and I give no gifts for the holidays. Why?  Because one or all employees botch and moan no matter what you do.  Damned if I do, damned if I don't, so I choose not to and save myself the stress and aggravation of the ungratefulness. 

After all, we are not friends or family.  We are each simply paid to perform a role and I have never felt entitled to a gift my my boss, and have been grateful for anything I recieved before I was in my current position. 

Maybe if I were in the private sector I would handle things differently but I am loathe to spend my personal money and time on ungrateful people.  

@BExplorer  I appreciate the perspective.  Let me clarify mine.  My ONLY issue with the gift was that it was not a gift but an insincere effort at being one.

I agree with you.  I don't like gifts in the workplace.  I don't give them because as you say my time and money is for my family not my paid coworkers.  

BUT, if you are going to make the effort, do it professionally.  Know your employee's name (not hard to do when you can pull up the email that you use every day) or leave the envelope blank. 

And if you are going to give a gift, make sure it's presentable and in my case not used.  Had she taken two seconds to run the cards under water or just wiped them down so they were clean and verify that they were new (important in a gift card), I never would have posted anything at all today.

Honored Contributor

@loridarlin1962 wrote:

My husbands company did turkey certificates at the grocery store. okay whatever, then in his next pay check twenty dollars had been deducted ,he ended up paying for his own stupid turkey!

@loridarlin1962  I have moved to fourth!  OMG!  That might rival for first place!  Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Mominohio  Read the entire post before you show you haven't and I really hope you have a better day.  You are not going to ruin mine.  

Smiley Very Happy  <----See?  Still happy!  I sincerely hope you get there too.  Heart

I have read the entire post, and I stand by what I posted, based on this thread and others I've participated in with your posts. 

Your flippant attitude shows you really aren't happy, but attempting to make others seem that they aren't to deflect. 

Carry on!

I don't call out posters, make personal attacks, or scold. It's not that I like everyone or their delivery but that it's impolite and not my business to instruct fellow posters. 

I find nothing wrong with the OP, her attitude, or her posts. 

Respected Contributor

@loridarlin1962 wrote:

@loridarlin1962  I am at a total loss for words.....OMG!

Laura loves cats!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Receiving my pension is the only thing I ever expected to get from the company I worked for. I never cared that I didn't get Holiday bonus...I do care my pension is gone.

Honored Contributor

Threads are never one size fits all.  I truly believe this one was opened to have a bit of a snark over what most folks would agree are sad/misplaced attempts at Christmas gifts.  Many have shared their hilarious experiences.  Many have reminded us how lucky we are and how we can always help others.  I guess I would ask at this time lets have a little fun and enjoy this thread for what it was intended, just a little Christmas snark that probably most of us have experienced be it at work or at home.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Respected Contributor

My DD works for exercise facility and works every Sunday. It was not until this week that she was given schedule for the childcare section where she works! Are you kidding!? People deserve to know when they are working ahead of time when it’s holiday time. Bad enough it’s just minimum wage- nothing extra for special days. Let them keep their Chinese made water bottle that is probably not BPA Free. Give them 3 or 4 dollars in cash!
Honored Contributor