Esteemed Contributor

Re: My Company's personal holiday gift...Get Ready

Some wives work in the house and never get anything or recognition.

Honored Contributor

I know the gift that lives in infamy with my sister was a Chia pet.  The employees walked in to their holiday party and were told to grab their box.  Smiley Happy  She was a journalist at the time.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I wish I could hand these cards off to someone who will use them.  I guess the kids will make use of them since I can't give them out here.  And I would.

I do appreciate her thought and told her so and this post is obviously tongue in cheek.  

I guess it's what you finally get when you put them all in their place a few weeks back and demand some respect after she and a few others in her department tried to make me look bad to cover their own butts.   

This is the first time in 3 years they even thought of me at holiday time and one of the few times they acknowledge I even exist.  They are losing another support person at the end of the year so maybe it's dawning on them to be nice to the people that actually run the place or we'll all be waving goodbye.     

@Laura14   Laura, this reminds me of something a wise male friend said to me a few years ago, and it really stuck.  I was telling him how there were some women at work who never had to do anything but look pretty and kiss up to the boss.  Then, there were the others who sat in the background, did all the important work, and covered the others' butts.  His reply was, "You have your work horses, and you have your show horses."  You can probably guess which group you and I belong to!  Cat Indifferent

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde  OMG!  I have lost count how many times I have said that exact phrase.  We must be related. 

This workhouse is leaving shortly and it's going to take a stable to replace her but they'll get there.  I feel very sorry for the customers who are going to suffer big time until they do.  

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@2blonde  OMG!  I have lost count how many times I have said that exact phrase.  We must be related. 

This workhouse is leaving shortly and it's going to take a stable to replace her but they'll get there.  I feel very sorry for the customers who are going to suffer big time until they do.  

@Laura14  I've seen it over and over in the thousand years I've worked here.  Nobody is ever missed until they're gone, and even then, they're only missed by the other unfortunate coworkers who are expected to do their jobs (with no training or extra pay, of course).

Anyone who stays in the same job for a number of years will likely end up taking on more and more duties as time goes by.  They will cut corners, stay late........whatever it takes to do the work well and get it done.  What the management doesn't understand is that person has become so well trained and efficient that it would take superwoman to just step in and replace her.  In the job I left before I started working here, they ended up replacing me with three people!

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde  I handle four separate locations (today 8 since one of my coworkers is sick) and have had to resort to doing a lot of it manually since the new owners completely screwed over the automatic computer system to suit their own accounting and refuse to fix it.  I've been waiting almost two years on my help ticket.  It's going to be scary!!  

Honored Contributor

I have never received a Christmas bonus in all my life of working. Nor had DH. Nor has anyone we know EXCEPT for a couple who worked (he still does) in the bio-chemistry field. They could never talk about what they do but they were considered essential personal when the weather was horrific so they would have to be brought in to work by government employees (state troopers usually) or someone with a BIG truck. Their bonus was cash (NICE amount) and stock options. One of the co-owners of the company was (may still be, don't know) to a well-known Hollywood person. They LOVE who they work for. 

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 and everyone else who got crappy recognition at the holidays--I'm sorry.  Your companies stink.

I have hit the jackpot with this one.  They have a wonderful dinner for the corporate office (all the plants have their own) and partners and spouses are invited.  Last night was their open house at an upscale bowling alley with food and drinks.  I could do without this one, but whatever, I got dinner out of it.  Everyone at the corporate office received a card from the executives with a $200 visa gift card (or maybe everyone gets a different amount depending how long they've been here).  Last year I got $150.

In H***, my boss used to give me a bottle of red wine, which I can't drink.  The HR manager must have told him 100 times that I was allergic.  And a gift card to places I don't shop.  All your stories make me feel like an ungrateful wretch.

Honored Contributor

I'd sanitize the cards.  Maybe place them in one of those electronic phone sanitizers?  Or maybe just wipe all around the electronic strip with Lysol. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure this will be a very unpopular post, but I am going to offer another perspective.  I am the director of a government agency and I give no gifts for the holidays. Why?  Because one or all employees botch and moan no matter what you do.  Damned if I do, damned if I don't, so I choose not to and save myself the stress and aggravation of the ungratefulness. 

After all, we are not friends or family.  We are each simply paid to perform a role and I have never felt entitled to a gift from my boss, and have been grateful for anything I recieved before I was in my current position. 

Maybe if I were in the private sector I would handle things differently but I am loathe to spend my personal money and time on ungrateful people.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt