Honored Contributor

Re: My Company's personal holiday gift...Get Ready

I thought you were going to say it was a 1 year membership to the Jelly of the Month Club.  Woman LOL

I have been with my employer for 18 years and we have always received a bonus at this time of the year.  I half expected to get it today with my paycheck but I'm thinking in years past they generally give it to us with a card, the week of or right before Christmas.  I'm thinking if we get one it will be next week.

It's a good amount but of course Uncle Sam gets his 38% which puts a crimp in things but I'm very grateful.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

It's obvious that she re-gifted the cards.  I wouldn't be thankful because it wasn't much of a gift and no thought went into.  A nice card with a personal heartfelt note would have been better.  No, I have never worked for a company or individual that tacky.  In the past our company gave $50 American Express gift cards to all employees and that was reduced to $25 gift cards and then no gift cards...no cards either.  Just a Holiday Email from the CFO.  They did away with the big company holday party too.  When I was a manager,  I gave my staff gift cards or movie passes or gifts I paid for our department lunch out of my budget.  It was $$ and I'll be honest, I'm happy that I don't have to do that anymore.  I wouldn't have did what that woman did to you.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The biggest issue is the snotty germs that may have been handed over to you !

The company I work is not very generous with holiday bonuses but I guess I am happy to at least get something.  It is a small direct deposit into my account where my normal biweekly pay goes.  My immediate lower level manager may give me a WAWA gift card or a gift card to a nearby bagel / coffee shop.  Tiny gifts but no one is forcing them to - there's no law that they must give me something.  I think I recall reading the OP dealing with jerks on the job so I can understand her unhappiniess.

Honored Contributor

Oh @Laura14 your story unearthed a memory from decades ago.  I worked for a woman (please note I was her only employee) who made well over 100k a year.  I always try and find a fun/useful/appropriate gift and knew she loved candles so I bought her what I thought was a nice Christmas themed candle from Yankee Candle.  Her face immediately turned bright red as it was her turn to hand me my gift which was a tchochke snowman from the dollar store which was fine except the head fell off when she placed it on my desk . . . we never spoke of it again . . . tee hee!

Merry Christmas everybody!  Reindeer behind Christmas tree animated emoticon

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

As the only non family employee to this special family I work for the past twenty years I am truly blessed and especially at Christmas.  I "police" myself carefully with the bonus for spending through out the year slowly instead of all at once.  That way I always have a bit to spend the next Christmas for fun even if it is a year old.   They are good to so many people and even continued paying their Grandmother's decades upon decades housekeeper monthly when she retired 25 years ago.  Her funeral was just last week-end and that continued income was a blessing with her social security benefits.

Your post shows that there are kind and humane people in the workplace.  Very nice to hear!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

It's obvious that she re-gifted the cards.  I wouldn't be thankful because it wasn't much of a gift and no thought went into.  A nice card with a personal heartfelt note would have been better.  No, I have never worked for a company or individual that tacky.  In the past our company gave $50 American Express gift cards to all employees and that was reduced to $25 gift cards and then no gift cards...no cards either.  Just a Holiday Email from the CFO.  They did away with the big company holday party too.  When I was a manager,  I gave my staff gift cards or movie passes or gifts I paid for our department lunch out of my budget.  It was $$ and I'll be honest, I'm happy that I don't have to do that anymore.  I wouldn't have did what that woman did to you.  

@chrystaltree  I have proof of regift!  

So I just checked the balances on the cards.  The two $10 ones for Chilis and Subway are still good but Panera which is unmarked has a balance of $14.11.  I don't think they sell them that way.  

I mean really people?  My main point in posting aside from venting a bit is that if you have or manage employees, it is much better to do nothing for them than to do something and confirm the fact that they really mean squat to you.

I am getting a bonus in my next check but the customers were automatically charged for it on their last bill without advance warning so the holiday bonus is coming from them not my employer. 

Apparently, all this international corporation could muster was my misspelled name on a note card and three small gift cards, one used.    

Honored Contributor

I worked in oil and gas over 30 years before retiring and didn't get my first small bonus until my 8th year. Some years were better than others however I was very thankful for anything I got. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@QVCkitty1  ROFLMAO!!  Smiley Very Happy  I stand in second place.

We old timers would tell stories about this doc, and everyone thought we were exaggerating, I assure you we were not. He had no smoking signs all over his office, buttons on his lab coat etc. He came back from a medical conference, and started smoking those long.  brown cigarettes. LOL

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@LIG1  Thank you for posting a kind and resourceful response.

Trusted Contributor

Your story does make me laugh. I don't receive a bonus either.  However I work for a very large corporation in AZ.  So I don't expect anything.  But I do remember hearing about a very generous CEO in Texas (I believe in 2015) that gave each and every employee a

$100,000 (yes count the zero's) for Christmas.  Previous years I read that the bonus's were things such as a car or $$$.  I had heard the company had approximately 100 employees.  WOW.  I bet there is a very LOW employee turnover.