Honored Contributor

Re: My Co-Worker

[ Edited ]

@SydneyH wrote:

@Pearlee Did Management address these incidents?

Management can't "address" this.  As horrible as it is, there is nothing to "address." HR/Management can't nose into this.  If they do, they're crossing the line.  The most they can do is provide information for Employee Resources (a free counseling option for employees that many employers offer).  The employee is able to talk to their  manager voluntarily but certainly not because it's being addressed.  The most anyone can do is offer to listen if the woman wants to talk.  

One thought....can someone call the police and ask them to do a welfare check on the woman when they know she's home?

Trusted Contributor

If this is just your co-worker and not a friend, I would not question her about the incident.  Isf she comes to you, listen but don't push.

Respected Contributor

Re: My Co-Worker

[ Edited ]

I once walked into my husband's fist. Yes.

I saw that he was having trouble trying to pull something out of the utility closet. I walked towards him to see if I could help... and walked right into his fist as his arm came flying out of the closet. Yeah, go ahead....you can all laugh. :-)  But when we went to the ER because I thought my nose was broken, the docs questioned me at length... I mean they were really persistent in their questioning, thinking he had abused me. It was such an outlandish thought in our world of bliss and I had a hard time convincing them of this bizarre story. P.S. My nose was not broken, just very swollen.

Getting back to the OP.... I agree that you can't meddle except to listen if she wants to talk. Another thought is... if you do get too involved, it could mean potential danger for you if your name is mentioned at her home, or you could potentially be called as a witness.

Honored Contributor

People get a black eye for many reasons.

But if it happens again, I would try to just offer support.

And don't participate in any office gossip!

Keep your opinion to yourself.

@SydneyH wrote:

Came into work today with a black eye.  I was soo upset to see her in this condition, and when she tried to downplay her condition, I didn't take very well.  Has this ever happened to you in the workplace?  

Respected Contributor

I have a good friend who was married to an abusive man for many years.  His abuse was more verbal than physical, but when he threatened their children with a gun, she left and never looked back.  He has nothing to do with his children now, which is actually great news for her.  She has a great life now, bought a house, children are now out of college and they have a terrific relationship with her.  All you can do is to offer to help, but she will have to be the one to make the decision to leave.  However, I would insist that someone (if not you if she allows), start to take pictures of the abuse and possibly recordings of what he did to her so she will have proof of a history of abuse to use for when she leaves him, or unfortunetly, to convict him if he ends up taking her life.  Sorry, but that reality may help to push her into the right direction.  It didn't help Nicole Simpson (that's a whole other sad story), but seeing those pictures of abuse over the years is quite powerful.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

Yes - two of my co-workers came into work with bruises and both had trouble walking and moving without pain.  Mostly everyone in the office knew what had happened.  I gave my coworker a back rest for her chair which she appreciated.  To our astonishment, the boyfriend showed up to "see how she was doing" and thanking me for the backfrest.  She claimed she fell down the upstairs in her house because it was recently carpeted and she had socks on and carrying a laundry basket when she came down the stairs.  The other co-worker claimed she checked up on her sleeping children in the dark and fell on something left on the floor.  I was sympathetic for both and tried to get and remain an open dialogue to no avail.  Whether management looked into both situations was not known to me.  

Honored Contributor

Unless this woman is a friend it is not your place to insist she seek medical attention or give you an explanation of what happened.

i tried to intervene many years ago when a guy was hitting a girl (presumably his girlfriend) outside my apartment window.  The girl said "mind your own business".

Honored Contributor

It is very unsafe to get involved in marital disputes.When my DH was a police officer he said that those were the most risky calls.

Respected Contributor

Yes, only once and it is something I will never forget.  Her entire face was black/blue and badly swollen.  It looked like someone with a mask on.  It was horrific.

All of us, management included, were concerned about her having an eye injury, which she adamantly refused to seek treatment for.

Because she was a direct patient contact employee management attempted to have her put on leave but she pulled in her union rep (who was also appalled by her appearance).

She was on a path of destruction due to long term alcohol abuse and put herself into so many dangerous situations.  Family, co-workers, management over the years all tried to help her but we failed.  One day,  she didn't show up for work.  Her supervisor called the police for a welfare check.   She was found dead in her apartment.  I believe the cause of death was esophageal variceal hemorrhage.

Trusted Contributor

I have never been abused. I often have bruises from bumps, just little mishaps doing my yard or house work, but because I take daily asprin I bruise easily.

The advise to offer an ear if desired was good. I would not get involved in domestic disputes.