Respected Contributor

Re: My Car Insurance Company

@Jordan2 wrote:

I'm sitting here seething! I took my elderly mother to the dentist on Tuesday. We were in there maybe 30 minutes. I come out to the parking lot and can see a car hit me while they were either backing out of the spot or going in to the spot on my driver's side. Needless to say they didn't leave a note and just ran off. I live in New York state and the law is you can have work done at a shop of your choosing. I go get an estimate from a shop I have dealt with before and got an estimate for $2,200. I bring it to my insurance company today and she wasn't pleased by the amount. She tells me they have shops that they deal with, they don't need a claims adjuster as the shop can do the work. She tells me another option is a drive thru, they give you an estimate and cut you a check so you can go where you want. I find out by my insurance company (not the local office) that I MUST go to the drive thru. I call my local office and she tells me that's not true. She calls only to find out if you can drive your car you have to use the drive thru as they don't have enough claims adjusters to go around! I feel like they are forcing me to do things their way, the drive thru and shops that work with them don't have my best interest at heart. They are liable to give me a check for less then the estimate the shop gave me, maybe looking to cut corners. I'm so disgusted at this point. I hope the person that hit me got a lot of damage to their car! Oh, yeah I got the impression she thought my estimate was padded!

The insurance companies exist only to rip off their customers!!!  And, the repair companies almost always pad their fees!!  You can't win.