Honored Contributor

Re: My Breyers Natural Vanilla has gums in it now.

....and "No Added Sugar", which does not mean there is zero sugar in the product.  Just means that the manufacturer does NOT add additional sugar to the original recipe which can be loaded with sugar.  Just devastating to the Diabetic who counts on a little sugar free ice cream to help them live with Diabetes.  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

We stopped buying Breyers ice cream awhile ago. We had a power failure for several days. And when we were cleaning out the freezer we noticed the unopened 1/2 gallon of Breyers ice cream was half full. The other half had been air.

So we switched to Häagen-Dazs. And we are pleased with their Vanilla Bean ice cream and Butter Pecan and Chocolate Mint and Coffee Chip. We always have 4-6 containers in the freezer. Well worth the extra money.

Trusted Contributor

This excerpt from an April 15, 2013 NYT article shows that even back then the ice cream contained tara gum. It's called Ice Cream's Identity Crisis.

breyers natural vanilla ice cream ingredients.JPG

Honored Contributor

Carageenan will mess up your gut bacteria.
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624    Blue Bell and Publix brand both offer half gallons.   Publix own brand just went over $6 recently and Blue Bell over $9.

Two weeks ago, I bought one Blue Bell when the halves were on sale at 2 for $12.    If we hadn't already been in the worst part of hurricane season, I would have squirreled away a second one for later.   Wonder what the price will be by the next time they show up on sale?

Honored Contributor

@millieshops    I bought some Blue Bell in the brown rim for $6.+ change a couple weeks ago.  The price depends on the color of the rim.  They often have it on sale right before major holidays for about half price.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Well don't eat it then!  Wouldn't that be better for you all around?

Honored Contributor

I buy STRAUS  organic vanilla bean. Expensive but worth it. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sooner    If I die of ice cream, I'll die very, very happy.  When did you ever hear of a death due to effects of ice cream?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I had to laugh when I read your post. When it comes to health risks, the high fat content of these premium ice creams is at least as concerning as the additives used to stabilize them.