Honored Contributor

My BIL got recruited to the front lines

[ Edited ]

I know a lot of us have family members working in health care so I am going to pass along a request my sister made for her husband for all of our heroes which is to say a prayer for their safety.

He is an anesthesiologist who has been asked to intubate covid patients.  Obviously he will be bringing himself home every day to his wife and children so we won't see them until this is all over.  

Good news is my mother finally realized traveling is not a good idea and she will not be road tripping up here this week for now.  I hope if you have those in your family still out and about, you can get them to stay home and not give these people more work.  

Stay safe all. ❤️

Honored Contributor

Re: My BIL got recruited to the front lines

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Laura14All good things to those who work on the fronts and to their families.

Just this morning CNN ran the story of two more doctors like your BIL working in that dangerous environment.  They are in NYC and have chosen a BnB for 6-8 weeks rather than risk carrying the virus home.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14. You might want to edit your first post to clarify. When you wrote that your mother "finally got it" I thought she got the virus! 🤯 Oh no!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:
@Laura14. You might want to edit your first post to clarify. When you wrote that your mother "finally got it" I thought she got the virus! 🤯 Oh no!

Same here, @Pearlee .  Took a second to realize what she meant.

And @Laura14 , how upsetting for your sister and family.  Prayers for them all.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee Done!  Thank you pointing that out.  She is still safe and well.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You have to take some of these old people's keys away.  I'm old so I can say that.  We have a radio talk show and some woman told how she drove almost 500 miles to her granddaughter's baby shower and there were 80 people present.  She decided at the last moment not to go to the shower, but she was still exposed to her daughter and the granddaughter who had the shower when they came home.  Poor judgment beyond belief.  And who has a baby shower for 80 people?  

Honored Contributor

My nephew is a paramedic and he moved out of his house for now because they have a 2 year old and a newborn.

Hard decisions but they are doing the right thing.

It is worrisome enough for all those who have to work outside not in the home, or even going to the grocery store, much less a first responder.

What they are going through is unimaginable isn't it?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Best wishes to your BIL, @Laura14.  Yes, I would guess with his experience intubating patients, his services would be high demand right now.  Sadly.

I will pass along something I saw here that they are trying to do.  It is a plexiglass box with arm holes cut out that fits over the head of the patient.  The doc and the nurse that are right there during intubation are of course at high risk due to the coughing, etc. that occurs with the procedure.

Someone came up with the idea of using the plexiglass box to put over that patients headwith pretty good size circles cut out in strategic places to allow them to put their arms in there to intubate.  It is also high enough for them to maneuver around.  I imagine though it would not be valuable for those that are difficult intubations though.

I know several docs here have ordered a few, but haven't heard how they are working out yet.  Or if they were even able to use them effectively.  Just thought I would pass that along in case he might want to research them and see if it is something he might want to know about. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota   Thanks!!  I definitely will.