Esteemed Contributor

Re: 😬 My 95 yr young mother told me today.......🥺

Kivah, my paternal grandparents lived on Rivington Street. My father grew up there. What a coincidence! My leaf-as-toilet-paper story comes from my husband. His cousin allegedly went camping with his Boy Scout troop and used leaves as toilet paper. Unfortunately, Cousin Marvin did not recognize Poison Ivy.

Respected Contributor

I think the oranges wrapped in the white paper is so Charmin, eerrrr I mean charming.  What a wonderful little gift to find in your stocking at Christmastime.

Also back in the day, most things were wrapped in paper - meat at the butcher, all the grocery store bags were paper - before all this plastic took over.  Woman Wink

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@Vivian  My brother accidentally used poison oak leaves many years ago (he was 10 or 11). Poor guy had a rash from front to back...spent a few miserable days!

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I had started 2nd grade when my parents put indoor plumbing in our new house.  

My farm grandparents installed their indoor plumbing next.   Their outhouse was much nicer than most, it even had a wall mounted toilet paper dispenser.   Grandpa bought the outhouse and had it delivered to the farm when he and grandma moved away from town.   Grandma was very leary of the indoor plumbing for a long time!   Their outhouse always had a catalog with pages missing and I only saw corncobs in their outhouse.   

As you see in the picture, the corncobs were dry, and most likely were from the field corn that was grown specifically to shell, for their kernels to be used to make hominy.   Cobs from the garden eating corn were not used in the outhouse.   Corncobs and catalog pages were used for back wiping only.  

@RedTop My grandfather had a huge barn/corn crib.  The field corn went in there to be dried.  When the guys went bird hunting in the fall they would each get an ear of that dried corn, put it in their pockets and snack on it a few kernals at a time in the field. 

We would boil and eat that corn when it was really young and tender.