Respected Contributor
On 1/25/2015 minkbunny said:

terrier, the young man could live in a dorm and visit his grandmother daily if he chose to.

If she is a private person who is a very particular housekeeper, adding the additional stress of a teenager with the erratic hours that would involve is not needed at this time in her life.

No one is saying they cannot bond.

My children loved their dorm life and the friends they made there.

I admit that when I was that age I could have never lived with an older relative, especially a grandparent. Not that there was anything wrong with the older folks but it was the time to be on my own and make my own decisions. I would have been a bit embarrassed to tell my college buddies I lived with my grandmother.

BTW who brought this up OP? Your brother or his son or your mother?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

terrier, the young man could live in a dorm and visit his grandmother daily if he chose to.

If she is a private person who is a very particular housekeeper, adding the additional stress of a teenager with the erratic hours that would involve is not needed at this time in her life.

I believe the poster said her mom WANTS him to move in.

She is an adult and can make her own decisions, IMO.

It may work out very well for all involved.

Honored Contributor
OP has said nothing about the maturity level of her nephew. I could have done this at 18 without a problem. Depends on the boy and honestly it also depends on your mother and how inflexible she is.
Respected Contributor
On 1/25/2015 terrier3 said:

I believe the poster said her mom WANTS him to move in.

She is an adult and can make her own decisions, IMO.

It may work out very well for all involved.

Where does it say that please?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

The only person I saw that used the word "want" was the brother/son/father.

The grandmother said she does not see any problems, well she wouldn't until they occur.

Honored Contributor

The only person I saw that used the word "want" was the brother/son/father.

The grandmother said she does not see any problems, well she wouldn't until they occur.

"Does not see problems" sounds like she is OK with it.

Since when are people suspicious about having a grandson get close to his grandmother?

She is living alone for the first time in her adult life and I'm sure she will welcome the security and company.

I cannot believe all the negative posters...

Respected Contributor

terrier are you posting like this just to be contrary?

I think minky is giving great advice. I hope the OP advises her mother to take it slow.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor
On 1/25/2015 Smaug said:

I admit that when I was that age I could have never lived with an older relative, especially a grandparent. Not that there was anything wrong with the older folks but it was the time to be on my own and make my own decisions. I would have been a bit embarrassed to tell my college buddies I lived with my grandmother.

BTW who brought this up OP? Your brother or his son or your mother?

I am the OP. My mom and I are discussing this.
Super Contributor

A lot depends on the grandson. IF he is living with grandma . . . and going for a fairly difficult degree and perhaps even working part time . . . that leaves a lot less time for partying with friends. Depends on how good of a high school student he was.

So many variables.

I know my Father who was always particular and even had a temper . . . chilled greatly in his older years . . . or it never would have worked as well as it did.

Respected Contributor
I don't think it's a good idea. I'm not saying this because I don't think he's not a nice or good young man. I just don't have a good feeling about this situation, and it seems like a LOT of things could go awry. JMO.