Respected Contributor

Re: My 2 year old GD loves my KJL clip-on earrings!

@sfnativeAww how sweet!

This put a big smile on my face.

Your grand daughter sounds adorable!Heart

She has great taste.

Honored Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

so far my grand-daughter seems to be a tom-boy THANK GOD!

So was I!  LOL   Watch out because she will be a little devil!  Hope she stays that way. Smiley Happy Teach her well grandma!  She won't listen, but she will remember. Heart

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Respected Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@fourpaws56 wrote:

so far my grand-daughter seems to be a tom-boy THANK GOD!

So was I!  LOL   Watch out because she will be a little devil!  Hope she stays that way. Smiley Happy Teach her well grandma!  She won't listen, but she will remember. Heart

LOL! me too....I buy her camo clothes and she plays with her brothers trucks :-)

Esteemed Contributor

This thread makes me miss Barry and the KJL line.

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

She will treasure this memory!  My grandmother and great-grandmother let me wear their clip-on earrings when I visited.  I inherited some of them upon their passings.  I lost some in a flood, but I have at least one pair from each.  I also bought some Joan Rivers ones that reminded me of them a few years ago.  I felt so pretty when I had theirs on.  I didn't need the rest of "dress up" because I was fancy!  LOL Heart

@Preds

Hi Preds,

Last night  kept thinking about your post, specifically "because I was fancy!" because that's exactly the way I felt when I dressed up, too, as a child.

My grandparents had huge parties quite often, so I just loved seeing all the ladies in their beautiful dresses, but better still their gorgeous jewelry. This was in the 50s, when some pretty good fashion jewelry was being made. I inherited some high end pieces from my step-mother's mother, who appeared as an extra in many Errol Flynn movies and just love them to bits.

I hope I'm around long enough for my granddaughter to remember our fun play days (Tue & Wed) and all the fun we have with my jewelry box.

One day about 3 weeks ago, she and her mom stopped by really early on a Saturday and I was still in my robe and night gown (gown was Stan Herman).  My GD followed me back to my bathroom to watch me wash up, get dressed and put my make-up on.  Wow!  When I took my robe off she said, "Oma, you have a dress on!"  It came to me that this night gown was a dress to her and that she had never seen me in a dress (since she was an infant).  Since retiring 2 years ago, I find few occasions to wear a dress, but have decided that given GD's reaction, I'll just have to wear my forest green velvet dress this Christmas.

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Just so cute!  My grandaughter, who is 2&1/2, is just like yours.  She loves jewelry, pocketbooks, make-up, etc.  I never thought of clip-on earrings just for fun.  I have gotten her a few tiny pocketbooks with stuffed animal attached.  I'm going to get some jewelry for fun, part of her visits with her Mimi.  She has gotten into her mom's make-up more than once, and the end result pictures are so funny.

She is also tall and athletic, blue-eyes and light blonde hair, and a force to be reckoned with.  Laughs and giggles all the time.  Can you tell that her Mimi, 71 years old, is madly in love with her (and her 7 year old brother)?  The joys of my old age.

@PamfromCT

Hi Pam,

You sound like you're having a great time being Mimi to your two grandchildren.  Just to repeat back at you, but my GD sound just like yours, matching every description.  That giggle is something else, isn't it?

Does your granddaughter like roller coasters?  Several weeks ago, we went to the local amusement park, Oakes Park, before it closed for the winter, and DH just had to take her on the roller coaster built for kids, which wasn't all that small.  I didn't think she could go on it, but she met the height requirement.  I was nervous, seeing her in that seat with her Opa, I can tell you!  However, she loved it.  When the ride was done, she came running down the ramp and said, "I want to go again.  More, please, Oma!"  She cracks me up!

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

@sfnative wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

Grands are just best! 

I must say your GD did for 3 hours something I could not do for more than 10 minutes and that's wear clip on earrings. A friend gave me  KJL clip-ons (why I haven't a clue as the friend knew I have pierced ears) and they KILLED my ears.

@lulu2

Hi lulu,

There's a trick to wearing clip-ons and that's to go into one of those accessory stores at the mall and purcase a clip-on "key."  This allows you to loosen the tension of the spring.

I used a metal nail file to "open" it a little to help with the tightness.  LOL  Didn't know therewas a "key"! 

@Preds

@lulu2

The thing with the key is that it allows you to not only loosen up the earring, but also tighten it back up, if it's been loosened a bit too much

Esteemed Contributor

@VCamp2748 wrote:

Oh gosh, that takes me back to my own childhood when my maternal grandma let me play dress-up with some of her jewelry.  She called them earbobs, & most of them had to scr*w onto the earlobe.  Fun!

@DoneTryin

That was really nice of your grandma to let you play dress-up with some of her jewelry.  I had friends who weren't allowed to do that and were really jealous of me.  I agree about the kind that had to be scr*wed: as a child, it took every bit of patience I had to get a pair of those on.  LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@sfnativeAww how sweet!

This put a big smile on my face.

Your grand daughter sounds adorable!Heart

She has great taste.

@Pqfan

She put a smile on my face all the time: she's has the most wonderful personality.  I do believe she'll grow up to be one special lady.  Of course, all grandmothers think that! LOL!

What's really interesting is that the first pair of earrings she ever reached for and tried to place in her ears were emerald earrings with diamond chips.  Very shinny and eye catching.  And she still keeps reaching for that same pair, but they're pierced and on posts.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

This thread makes me miss Barry and the KJL line.

@colliegirls

I miss them, too.  Never missed a show.  And because I worked in healthcare admin at the time and wore suits and heels, I purchased quite a bit of jewelry and wore it to work every day.  Can't tell you how many compliments I received over the years.