Respected Contributor

Re: Must haves to keep in your car.

There are basics most everyone recommended.  But alot depends upon where you live, drive, whether you travel with you pets.

I always keep a tire gauge in my car.  Not because I need it but is a handy place to store it.  I also keep my vehicles owners manual in the car.  An umbrella or two, a blanket; paper towels; paper and mechanical pencil (pens can go dry); small amount of money (small bills and coins); my Halo Bolt (with instructions); flashlight; cell phone car adaptor;  and a pair of old tennis shoes.  I don't carry bottled water unless I am traveling, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.  Could also suggest a few basic tools like a screw driver or multi wrench, scissors.  For a guy perhaps a small medical kit with basics like aspirin, bandade.  Most of this stuff can fit in the glove box or center console, the rest in the trunk  Also get spare key(s).  I saw this product am thinking about getting one  License Plate Spare Key Hiding Container.

Honored Contributor

My teacher daughter travels a lot, and her emergency kit has all the things that have been listed here, along with bags of cat litter and a collapsible shovel.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I always hide two twenty dollar bills in my car.  There were countless times that money has been a lifesaver.

i have a small first aid kit in the glove box..used it a few times.  Small tool kit, have used the screw driver, a flash light and a heavy blanket.

When we travel I always have water and snacks...especially in the wintertime and extra windshield washer for winter travel.

A  can of that flat tire fix has come in handy a few times.  It works until you can safely get someplace to change your tire.

Respected Contributor

Along with all the other good ideas I too keep a Hat, Shovel, Paper maps  a Mirror and whistle, Thermal reflective blanket  and an empty coffee can with cover and a roll of T.P inside.

Valued Contributor

I would include a package of wet wipes and a roll of paper towels. When my niece from Ohio visits me, I always fill a pill bottle with quarters and dimes for toll booths.

Esteemed Contributor

I always keep two old towels in the trunk. Always ready when your shoes have mud (easier to wash the towel) also help when you have something that may leak or is dirty like plants 

Honored Contributor

I have a duffle bag with:

heavy winter coat w/hood

snow boots and heavy socks

ski mask

heavy-duty mittens

bucket of sand/salt mix and shovel

tire chains

jumper cables

blanket 

small survival kit w/first aid kit, food and crank powered radio

Esteemed Contributor

@Jamma

@Jamma wrote:

My licence, registration, and AAA card are in my wallet----which is always with me when I am driving.

My Insurance card is always in the compartment between the front seat with tissues, charger, small sewing kit, small first aid kit, small bottle of water.

Always have an umbrella.  In winter scraper and one of those car brooms.

Yes, I keep reg. In wallet, not in car.  Was robbed once broke into car, for reg. Have my address and garage door opner.  We changed code rightaway.  Sure enough they came next day to break into home.

Honored Contributor

You might not want to keep it in the vehicle, but somewhere there needs to be a hand vac so the car can be kept clean.  I keep clean towels to put on the seats when the grandchildren are with me so their messes can be shaken off with the towel.  I keep the hand vac to protect me from all the nit picking of small things like sand, leaves, etc., that I track into the car but I also have the stiff brush that helps when it is just a little and that also helps me keep trash out of the rear of the SUV.  I don't know what you call that area back there.  In a real car, it is a trunk but this is no trunk, this is like a cubby area so keep a stiff brush to rake trash that come off your grocery bags or shoes you throw back there or whatever.  So keep a stiff brush back there and you can keep the little hand-held microfiber duster that clean in the nooks and cranies.  You could keep a dust pan with it if you feel the necessity.

I have a friend who keeps a trench coat of many years in her vehicle.  Each time she trades vehicles, she hangs it on an appropriate hanger just in case of rain or unexpected cold snap.  It has a zip-in/zip-out lining.  She says she has used it quite often in her business.  Yes, it's a nice trench so it has held up to the elements and the sun/rain/cold for years.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Realistic mannequin that you can use for the car pool lane. jk

flashlight

AAA

first aid kit

water

snacks

blanket

umbrella

trash bags