Valued Contributor

Re: Music question....Do you remember the 1st 45 rpm or albumn you ever bought?

My first 45 was either "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks or "Billy Don't Be a Hero" by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods. Both were released in 1974 but for the life of me I can't remember which came first.

My fav band was The Beatles but I wasn't allowed to buy their old albums. My father didn't want any of their music in the house because they did drugs. 🙄

Great thread!

Super Contributor

My first 45 record I remember buying myself with my allowance was First Name Initial by Annette Funicello.  How embarrassing!

Had a little better taste for first LP which was a Jan and Dean album, Surf City, I think.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

My first 45 grown up record was "Wild Thing" by the Troggs. I used my birthday money to buy it.

I had quite a collection of children's records which came in the colors of red, blue, yellow and yes, black before I outgrew them.

Frequent Contributor

45:    Little Darlin', by The Diamonds
Album:     Ritchie Valens (he was killed in the plane crash with Buddy Holly)

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ QVCkitty1   As soon as I read Jimmy Clanton I starting thinking of his song "Venus in blue jeans"     Wow...that was a long time ago!

Respected Contributor

The story about @Florist781 mom reminded me of my mother. I was walking around the house singing Feels Like the First Time by Foreigner.  I didn’t think she was paying any attention to me, but when I got to the line "it must be the woman in you that brings out the man in me" she said,  "And what guy fed you that line of ******?"

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal   Was it "Let there be drums" by Sandy Nelson?

My first 45 was given to me by my grandmother when I was 10 years old . It was "Donna" by Richie Valens. (That is my name)

Honored Contributor

1Snickers !

Topsy Part two was the one that became a hit but part one was great too!!!  I am impressed that you and your boyfriend won dance contests dancing to Topsy!!!!!  You must have been quite a good dancer, full of energy and talent!

I love your sequence of figures at the end of your post!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Danny and the Juniors --"At the Hop"

Trusted Contributor

@frenchie wrote:

Certainly do. Elvis' Love Me Tender. Around 1954. I still have his Christmas Album LP from around that same time.

That 45 rpm is probably my first one, too.  My mother bought it for me, soon after that, I started buying some records on my own, from my little allowance.

I remember that the one I had, actually had 4 songs from the movie,two on each side. One of the other songs was "Poor Boy", also in the movie. (All four were songs from the movie.)  I can remember some of the lyrics for Poor Boy, and the melody.  If I catch the movie on TV, I'm able to sing along.

I don't remember any other 45 rpm have more than one song on each side, so this was an oddity.