Respected Contributor

Re: Music in Stores, Pro or Con?

I hate blaring music anywhere, but especially in restaurants. I don't need music everywhere I go.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes it is so loud that I can't concentrate on what I am there for. In those cases I tell a salesperson and then leave without purchasing.

Honored Contributor

I don't mind humming or lowly singing along with music I know. But if it's that far out horrible music that I don't call music but noise, I don't like that.

Trusted Contributor

I prefer no music myself.

Honored Contributor

Uh ......   there's nothing stopping you from complaining to the manager if the music is too loud ......   the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Honored Contributor

Lila Belle wrote:
I don't mind music playing where I shop. I guess I'm lucky to be able to tune out what I'm not crazy for.

Honestly, you really are lucky!  I don't mean this snarkily or anything like that.  But when I think about having sensory sensitivity I really wish I could tune out more.

Between growing up being SCREAMED at all the time and now having severe tinnitis, I cannot handle sounds that are overly loud (well, except if I'm at a concert), or high pitched, or sudden.  It just throws me off and makes my head explode.  Plus, it will make the ear-ringing much louder.  

If I don't have to think at all (which I would if I were at a bank, or store, etc) or talk to anybody and ALL I had to hear was some music, I'd be ok as long as it wasn't blaring and wasn't certain music.  But with all the other extraneous stuff it's almost painful.   Actually, it IS painful when it sets off the tinnitus from a dull roar to a shrill ringing.  owie!  Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

For the most part I enjoy the music especially if it is something that I like.  I like hearing the Christmas music and have been known to walk down the aisles singing if I am in a good mood. 

It is what it is!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Pro.

Qualified---unless it is heavy metal. To this musicians ears? That noise ain't music.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Music is fine,  but it needs to be background not the main attraction in the store or restaurant.

Honored Contributor

After 42 years in ICU blocking out the hundreds of various noises, beeps and alarms that constantly ring there so I can concentrate on just the ones that apply to my patients, I can easily block out the background music in any store or restaurant.