Respected Contributor

Re: Music Legend Eric Clapton Going Deaf

Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars will be aired on SHOWTIME February 10 !!

Love Eric Clapton  from his early years and on he has written and co-wrote dozens of songs including Layla

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pete Townsend also went deaf, and I imagine many other musicians have as well. In fact, some perennial concert goers have also had hearing damage. I saw Clapton in concert in the 90's with Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. Fabulous concert and just pure music without the flashing lights and over the top video gymnastics. i seem to remember a few years ago there was a piece on TV about Clapton's rehab facility that he owns and runs. I think he spends a lot of time working with addicts at that place.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

As Bette Davis said, «Getting old is not for sissies.» I don’t write this flippantly but as one who is just a year younger than the great Mr Clapton, I admire his perseverence. I remember when he lost his young son in a horrific accident. He must be made of strong stuff to deal with all he’s had to face.

@Vivian

That was so, so sad when his toddler son died:

On March 20, 1991, Eric Clapton suffered a parent's worst nightmare.

In a heartbreaking tragic accident, Clapton's four-and-a-half-year-old son, Conor, fell 54 floors out of an open window in the high-rise New York condominium he was living in with his mother, actress and Italian television personality Lory Del Santo. Although

New York law requires window guards in apartment buildings, according to Snopes, a 1984 ruling exempted condos – leaving building owners to decide whether or not to have safety devices installed and this was a rental.

The New York Times reported that Conor's accident happened during a visit from the housekeeper, who had opened the six-by-four window in order to clean it when Conor wasn't in the room and was unable to prevent the boy from "[darting] past" before it was shut.

Clapton, who didn't live with Del Santo and Conor, happened to be in New York at the time. In fact, the night before tragedy struck, he'd taken Conor to the circus for an outing later memorialized in the song "Circus." As he later told Ed Bradley during a 1999 interview with 60 Minutes, wanting to be a good father to his son was what ultimately prompted Clapton to get sober.

"When he was born, I was drinking and he was really the chief reason that I went back to treatment because I really did love this boy," he recalled. "I thought, 'I know he's a little baby, but he can see what I'm doing, and I'm tired of this.'"

Eric Performing 'Tears in Heaven':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSbqm7ZK_9s

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

"The Whole Story of Conor Clapton" as told by his Mother, who was there when it happened, with adorable videos of Conor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gbDPJTPYNs

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom, didn't read other remarks yet, but can a hearing aid help? 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

While hearing loss can be enhanced with devices, his bigger problem is peripheral neuropathy, making it hard and painful to play his guitar.

Respected Contributor

There is no cure for neuropathy, only some pain relief.

Peripheral neuropathy affects extremities causing numbness, tingling, burning etc it is progressive.

I wish for him all the best.

Honored Contributor

This is so sad to hear. Love his music. Just listened to Tears in Heaven & Wonderful Tonight.

My dad is having problems from Neuropathy from diabetes. He keeps falling down because he cannot feel his feet/legs.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

Eric Clapton: Life in 12 Bars will be aired on SHOWTIME February 10 !!

Love Eric Clapton  from his early years and on he has written and co-wrote dozens of songs including Layla

@CatsyCline

Layla is one of my favorites! I like the unplugged version, I have that CD too.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtxO1gwbHPQ

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz

(((HUGS))) to you and Dad.Heart