Esteemed Contributor

shuts down after fight results in one death of 1 worker

DETROIT — A 49-year-old Pontiac man is dead following a fight at General Motors' Orion Assembly plant in Orion Township, the Oakland County Sheriff's Office confirmed Thursday in a news release. 

The sheriff's office also said in the release that it had a 48-year-old male coworker in custody.  In the release Oakland County Sheriff's Communications Officer Steve

Huber said detectives will present the case to prosecutors Friday for possible homicide charges. Also, the release said the suspect's hometown was not known, but the victim worked at the plant for about seven months.

Detectives are withholding the victim's name until a positive identification is made. An autopsy is to be performed Thursday.

GM has security at all of its factories. In this case, the fight happened during off-production hours. The sheriff's office confirmed both men worked for a cleaning service hired by GM. GM hires vendors to do such work as well as some maintenance and parts distribution to the assembly. 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

the new normal anymore---instead of hashing out differences you go get a gun to do it-- a classmate of mine was gunned down at what was called --a road rage incident----he had just attended our 50th class reunion the Saturday before --all this happened the following Monday--the shooter was 38, Jim was 68--no details were given, of course--and the shooter was the one who stayed and called the police ---so speculation is rampant--but still---too many guns, too many unbalanced people that think that is the solution. 

Esteemed Contributor

Cause of death: multiple blunt force trauma. But don't let facts get in the way of an agenda.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Cause of death: multiple blunt force trauma. But don't let facts get in the way of an agenda.

@Nancy Drew  What is the agenda? What facts? This is the first I've heard of this story. 

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@Nancy Drew  What is the agenda? What facts? This is the first I've heard of this story. 

@proudlyfromNJ- I think this stems from another poster making a comment about people running to use a gun to solve a problem.

The article posted did not mention the cause of death. I think the poster who mentioned it may have assumed it was a gun.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ- I think this stems from another poster making a comment about people running to use a gun to solve a problem.

The article posted did not mention the cause of death. I think the poster who mentioned it may have assumed it was a gun.

@qbetzforreal  Thank you. I didn't see any post about people running to use a gun. I read the article and it said he died from being hit with a board. Thanks again, I can't seem to keep up with the meaning of a lot of posts today.

Honored Contributor

I am the poster who mentioned the use of a gun---not OP--I apologize for that assumption---it was a gun in the incident I mentioned----and no agenda here just matter of fact----

so sorry OP!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

the new normal anymore---instead of hashing out differences you go get a gun to do it-- a classmate of mine was gunned down at what was called --a road rage incident----he had just attended our 50th class reunion the Saturday before --all this happened the following Monday--the shooter was 38, Jim was 68--no details were given, of course--and the shooter was the one who stayed and called the police ---so speculation is rampant--but still---too many guns, too many unbalanced people that think that is the solution. 

@wagirl 

The factory where I worked for over 30 years! It was an all male factory for the first 20+ years I worked there.

Fights weren't a common thing, but they were not all that unusual either. I helped break up a few of them. In one the guy was getting the **** kicked out of him, and he was the bigger guy.

Work in certain areas and you worked as teams. And like any team, everyone is not on the same page as are the others. Many seemed to come to work p'od about something, and it didn't take much to get them worked up.

Was surprised to see they hire people "to clean the place". Every job I had in either factory, on several different jobs! I did the cleaning, and on 24 hour jobs, it was nice when you took over, when the prior worker cleaned up his mess.

Not "the new normal" back then, but it was not that unusual in factory work. Moreso in the one I worked in that a cool day/night was 95°.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

At work,  going to work, after work.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter where, what or why anymore.  Just the solution (NOT) to all our problems.  Sounds like Monday, Thursday or Friday in anytown U.S.A.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~