Honored Contributor

Re: Murder Suspects Turn Themselves In

@JamandBread wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

We only value "life" until it breathes through it's nostrils. Then we have folks all set to write kids off and spend tax dollars elsewhere, where, you know, kids whohave vanilla lives can benefit. If you're a kid with problems, tough luck.

I'll repeat to you what I've seen you to 'offer' others.  

"I'll pray for you."

@JamandBread 

I so appreciate that. Thank you. I'll continue to do the same for you too.

'continue'-- oh wow--I am blessed!

Trusted Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@JamandBread   I agree that some are out of touch when it comes to children as they are not around them on a current, regular basis.

To those that want parents to shield their children from the ongoing violence, that is diffcult to do when all of the children attending school must practice active shooter drills on a regular basis.

There are a multitude of issues all over the world of children getting into trouble but it seems this country outpaces all others on the frequency of those crimes.

You can definitely see who is used to be around kids and who never had them in their lives and even others who seem to have disdain for them, I have always cultivated relationships with the kids in my life. They keep me young! 

You are right on shielding your children from violence. We cannot. It is all around us. 24/7 on tv news- whether it's mass shootings (btw, there is an FBI def of mass shootings), war, 11 yr olds having babies, starving people fleeing oppression. The world is seriously violent

Then we have income disparities, working poor with 3 jobs (is it any wonder kids go unsupervised), food deserts, generational poverty and active, open racism and bigotry that keep these things on a never ending treadmill. Served up over and over.

@liliblu is right- we don't prioritize children (how many shot dead just in elementary school?), we are not willing to put the structures in place for working families to juggle all the balls, we weren't willing to wear a simple mask in public places, so no surprise. It will never change until we do.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bikerbabe wrote:
I never said defeatist attitude. 🙂 I agree doing your best for your child is a parent’s responsibility.

Yes, it IS everywhere.

No, it's not. It's not in my home or outside my front door or my local schools as you said. Again, your generalization doesn't fit.

Valued Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

The unfortunate reality is that in any society, priorities have to be established, just as we, as individuals, have to establish priorities for ourselves. Often, some of us disagree with how societal priorities are established and with what they end up being. This, alone, is fodder for extensive discussion and likely, were it to ensue, for significant disagreement. As for this situation, again, we can agree to disagree @liliblu, but in my hierarchy this little gang of thugs don't come out near the top of the list. Those who want to attempt to be their savior are free to do so, but my time, compassion and resources go elsewhere. That's my choice.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree.  But if our children are not a priorty then we as nation are doomed.

A bit of a gross generalization, I'd say, to suggest children are not a priority. Children are prioritized in many ways in our society. Some might even say that, as a group, they're unfairly prioritized above other groups in need. Regardless, fair or not, just as not all elderly or sick or frail or otherwise needy people make it to the head of the line, not all children will make it to the head of the line either, and there is something to be said about applying limited resources where they might do the most good and not, to coin a phrase, throwing good money after bad.

I would argue that focusing our resources on the most vulnerable and in need is never wrong.  We spend pennies on the dollar on programs that help improve people's quality of life.  We spend billions on the military industrial complex and in subsidies to major corporations.  I think our priorties have been misplaced for a long time.

Respected Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

The unfortunate reality is that in any society, priorities have to be established, just as we, as individuals, have to establish priorities for ourselves. Often, some of us disagree with how societal priorities are established and with what they end up being. This, alone, is fodder for extensive discussion and likely, were it to ensue, for significant disagreement. As for this situation, again, we can agree to disagree @liliblu, but in my hierarchy this little gang of thugs don't come out near the top of the list. Those who want to attempt to be their savior are free to do so, but my time, compassion and resources go elsewhere. That's my choice.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree.  But if our children are not a priorty then we as nation are doomed.

A bit of a gross generalization, I'd say, to suggest children are not a priority. Children are prioritized in many ways in our society. Some might even say that, as a group, they're unfairly prioritized above other groups in need. Regardless, fair or not, just as not all elderly or sick or frail or otherwise needy people make it to the head of the line, not all children will make it to the head of the line either, and there is something to be said about applying limited resources where they might do the most good and not, to coin a phrase, throwing good money after bad.

I would argue that focusing our resources on the most vulnerable and in need is never wrong.  We spend pennies on the dollar on programs that help improve people's quality of life.  We spend billions on the military industrial complex and in subsidies to major corporations.  I think our priorties have been misplaced for a long time.

The government's job is to protect the country. Families are supposed to help each other and charitable organizations can fill the gaps. There are many reasons for this that not enough seem to understand.

Esteemed Contributor

@JamandBread wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

This happened at 3 am.  A 10 year old and 14 year old out at 3 am.  I think that tells you all you need to know about their parents (if there are 2 parents at home)  And it tells you all you need to know about their parenting "skills".  The fact these 2 were on the street at 3 am and commited cold blooded murder says all you need to know about the 2 of them.  Regardless of any "horrors" they may have seen at home, these two are most likely not going to change but rather wind up with more future contributions to a rap sheet.  They will not get any significant punishment and will most certainly be out on the street again in no time.  Sadly we have almost become numb to violent crime like this and with very little actual punishment that fits the crime anymore.  This is disgusting and happening more frequently.  It will be interesting to see what the charges are and the outcome of any trial.  

These are children.  They are not irredeemable.  It is this kind of attitude that is hurting our country.  They will be punished but they probably fell into group or hive mentality.  No thought was involved.  

I hope there are consequences for the parents.  Children this age have no business outside at 3 am.  

Oh for the love of heaven, they. beat. an. old. man. to. death.

Enough with the excuses. I don't care how bad their parenting, (though yes the parent or parents should be prosecuted along with the little gargoyles they've spawned) or other factors that no doubt will be cited. As a society we simply can't keep looking the other way and trying to explain away sadistic, barbaric, criminal behavior, no matter the age of the criminals that perpetrate it.

I am not excusing what these children (not gargoyles) did.  But how we punich and deal with children should be different than how we deal with adults.  We don't allow 14 year olds to drive, drink alcohol, vote, or sign contracts.  Why?  Their brains are not fully developed.  They do not think through the consequences of their actions.  I can bet that they did not think they could kill a person with a traffic cone.  They will be punished but they are not irredeemable monsters.  

I agree. There is no excuse for what they did, but they are children. Many here have never had children, don't have friends or relatives around with kids or just are not around them to understand fully. 13 and 14 is still a baby to me. I agree the parents are responsible too, though when my daughter was 15, she snuck out of the house one night and I had no idea until her bff told me at her WEDDING.

Also, it seems the man fell and hit his head, not that the kids beat him until dead. It does shed light on why the charges are 3rd degree murder.

It's hard in the summer in the hot city.

@JamandBread 

11 through 14 yr. olds are regularly carjacking people at gunpoint in my city.  They carjacked a young mother at the COSTCO gas pumps and she became entangled in the seat belt.  They dragged her until the belt gave way, and she survived with injuries including a concusion. 

Another woman, a grandmother, was carjacked by young teen/pre-teens in front of her house and likewise dragged for blocks, until her arm was torn from her body which then fell free.  That woman, in her 60s, died. 

These are not "babies." And it's an insult to suggest that those who don't share your viewpoint simply have no experience with children.  I had children and was a teacher for years.  I also know abnormal behavior when I see it.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I won't argue with you about overspending on things rather than people, but I will suggest that your definition of the 'most vulnerable' and mine don't equate. I see elderly and fragile people day in and day out trying to do the best they can with momentous challenges. I'd be good with seeing them having an easier time of it and without jumping through untold of hoops, far more than I'm invested in throwing money at rehabbing a bunch of murderous children.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

This happened at 3 am.  A 10 year old and 14 year old out at 3 am.  I think that tells you all you need to know about their parents (if there are 2 parents at home)  And it tells you all you need to know about their parenting "skills".  The fact these 2 were on the street at 3 am and commited cold blooded murder says all you need to know about the 2 of them.  Regardless of any "horrors" they may have seen at home, these two are most likely not going to change but rather wind up with more future contributions to a rap sheet.  They will not get any significant punishment and will most certainly be out on the street again in no time.  Sadly we have almost become numb to violent crime like this and with very little actual punishment that fits the crime anymore.  This is disgusting and happening more frequently.  It will be interesting to see what the charges are and the outcome of any trial.  

These are children.  They are not irredeemable.  It is this kind of attitude that is hurting our country.  They will be punished but they probably fell into group or hive mentality.  No thought was involved.  

I hope there are consequences for the parents.  Children this age have no business outside at 3 am.  

Enough with the excuses. I don't care how bad their parenting, (though yes the parent or parents should be prosecuted along with the little gargoyles they've spawned) or other factors that no doubt will be cited. As a society we simply can't keep looking the other way and trying to explain away sadistic, barbaric, criminal behavior, no matter the age of the criminals that perpetrate it.

I am not excusing what these children (not gargoyles) did.  But how we punich and deal with children should be different than how we deal with adults.  We don't allow 14 year olds to drive, drink alcohol, vote, or sign contracts.  Why?  Their brains are not fully developed.  They do not think through the consequences of their actions.  I can bet that they did not think they could kill a person with a traffic cone.  They will be punished but they are not irredeemable monsters.  

I agree. There is no excuse for what they did, but they are children. Many here have never had children, don't have friends or relatives around with kids or just are not around them to understand fully. 13 and 14 is still a baby to me. I agree the parents are responsible too, though when my daughter was 15, she snuck out of the house one night and I had no idea until her bff told me at her WEDDING.

Also, it seems the man fell and hit his head, not that the kids beat him until dead. It does shed light on why the charges are 3rd degree murder.

@JamandBread 

11 through 14 yr. olds are regularly carjacking people at gunpoint in my city.  They carjacked a young mother at the COSTCO gas pumps and she became entangled in the seat belt.  They dragged her until the belt gave way, and she survived with injuries including a concusion. 

Another woman, a grandmother, was carjacked by young teen/pre-teens in front of her house and likewise dragged for blocks, until her arm was torn from her body which then fell free.  That woman, in her 60s, died. 

These are not "babies." And it's an insult to suggest that those who don't share your viewpoint simply have no experience with children.  I had children and was a teacher for years.  I also know abnormal behavior when I see it.

Well said @shoesnbags, and really, who'd want to have 'experience' with the kinds of miscreants you mention and that have been brought up here...? But the real clencher is 'it's hard in the summer in the hot city', as if that's an excuse... It's beyond being merely an insulting statement... As for the man falling, yes he did, when a gang of Future Thugs of America repeatedly pummeled him... Any way you slice it, those kids killed that old man... And no, they are not babies...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

@JamandBread 

It is abnormal behavior. But they are children. To me they are babies. But I'll settle for children. If you were indeed a professional teacher, you know that 13 and 14 year olds are children, with children's brains. That is not an opinion. It is a statement of fact.

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@JamandBread wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@liliblu wrote:

@eadu4 wrote:

@JamandBread 

Well said @shoesnbags, and really, who'd want to have 'experience' with the kinds of miscreants you mention and that have been brought up here...? But the real clencher is 'it's hard in the summer in the hot city', as if that's an excuse... It's beyond being merely an insulting statement... As for the man falling, yes he did, when a gang of Future Thugs of America repeatedly pummeled him... Any way you slice it, those kids killed that old man... And no, they are not babies...

An example of disdain for children.

The elderly and disabled aren't paying your social security and medicare. 

But kids who grow up to be educated and have opportunities WILL.

One would guess one has little experience with the outside world.